Does this antenna mount look correct

connor grimes

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Just installed the antenna mount and ground the paint off the 3 mounting holes as well as underside where antenna mounts too . Lot of wiggling going on though doesn’t seem like the 3 bolts are strong enough to hold the antenna if it gets goin from hitting something or just rough terrain. I noticed a smaller hole above taillight and looks like it would work well as a stabilizing bolt hole . Is that it’s purpose ?

F0ECB0AA-97BD-48B2-9C4A-9B9B8446C460.jpeg

7186B94A-5A73-40CB-A98E-478287AB0691.jpeg

D5140320-6939-4C48-93AE-07C996040912.jpeg

Just installed the antenna mount and ground the paint off the 3 mounting holes as well as underside where antenna mounts too . Lot of wiggling going on though doesn’t seem like the 3 bolts are strong enough to hold the antenna if it gets goin from hitting something or just rough terrain. I noticed a smaller hole above taillight and looks like it would work well as a stabilizing bolt hole . Is that it’s purpose ?

View attachment 142668

View attachment 142669

View attachment 142670
No, that mount is misassembled. The white nylon insulating shoulder washer goes on top of the bracket. Your spring and antenna are both shorted directly to ground with the nylon insulating shoulder washer improperly positioned under the bracket.

It should be assembled exactly as shown here...

ant-mount.jpg

Just installed the antenna mount . . . doesn’t seem like the 3 bolts are strong enough to hold the antenna. . . .
I noticed a smaller hole above taillight and looks like it would work well as a stabilizing bolt hole . Is that it’s purpose?

View attachment 142670

That is exactly its purpose.

Fouledplugs said:
I would not drill into the body. Total waste.

That's silly. There is no reason not to drill holes to allow brackets and other accessories to be solidly mounted and work properly. That hole will never be seen again as long as the antenna mount is there. If the mount is ever removed and the hole exposed, just put a stainless steel cap screw there to plug the hole. Or paint it to match the body.

I drilled a hole in my jeep for my Teraflex tail light antenna mount - as seen in the following photo. The mount is now rock solid with the "optional" bolt. It is a better arrangement than using only the taillight screws.

CB Antenna Mount close up 07 04 19.jpg

To @connor grimes :

If your antenna does not extend above your roll cage or jeep top you don't need a spring. Even if your antenna extends 1.5' above the roofline you may not need one. The stiff Firestik II on my prior jeep extended that far and didn't need a spring and it took plenty of abuse. I am currently using a flexy Firestik Firefly rather than a Firestik II. Performance is essentially the same as the stiffer Firestik II but now I don't worry about springs or breaking antennas.

And X2 on the 90 degree coax coupler. I use one with a Teraflex tail light antenna bracket and NMO antenna mount for my ham radio. Now the coax easily clears the tail light and there is a straight path for the coax into the jeep.

Ham Radio Antenna Mount 07 04 19.jpg

Last edited:
90 degree couples work wonders. View attachment 142671
I just did a similar install on my '04 TJ. Mine was installed on the driver's side. I dropped the cable down and ran it between the body and the taillight housing below the mount. Once I got it inside the body I ran it through a factory grommet into the interior and up to the front of the Jeep. That way it didn't interfere with the top.

Reactions: Tob and Blondie70