Does this Jeep have spacers that push the wheel out further?

Curt-Curt

New to the Jeep thing. i don't own one right now and looking to buy had this question:

Does this Jeep have a Spacer that pushes wheel out further? or is it just a wider tire?
Reason for the Big Fender?

Fander.jpg

No one can tell you for sure unless we saw it in person.

It could have wheels with enough backspacing to push them out, or it could have spacers.

If it has spacers you can remove them. If not, then you have to get new wheels.

Again, no one can tell you without seeing it in person.

Given that those are cheap steel wheels, I would be willing to bet anything it does not have spacers.

I wouldn't get too hung up on wheels & spacers when TJ shopping - they're ancillary in my opinion and something that can easily be changed if they don't fit what you're looking for. I'd recommend focusing on the condition of the frame, especially up there in Connecticut. TJ frames are prone to rust if not taken care of over their life, and can lead to all sorts of headaches. Look carefully at the undercarriage, & if you want you can post pics here so the resident TJ nerds can give you buying advice.

Reactions: xxdabroxx
ok thanks Chris. something to look at when talking price (new wheels) also not sure i like those fenders does anyone else like them?

ok thanks Chris. something to look at when talking price (new wheels) also not sure i like those fenders does anyone else like them?

I don't think they look bad, but I thought the Sahara came with painted fenders - mine did at least. Are those aftermarket?

Pocket flares were a fad, just like black wheels. Doesn't matter what we think if you like them.
It will be very hard to find a jeep built exactly the way you want it.

Those flares are large aftermarket flares and not stock. Just to answer your question. They are put on for either looks. The owner liked them. Or he was trying to comply with a state law that requires your tires do not stick out beyond your fenders. Or as we call them flares. You can put stock flares back on it. I think they run about $150. But it's a bit of a pain to replace. As they use nutserts. But that's another topic all together. It's very doable. And many of us have done it ourselves.

I doubt it has adapters. As those cheap black steel wheels (does not mean they are bad. Alot of guys run them.) are most likely the correct bolt pattern. Adapters usually get used when using a different bolt pattern wheel. And those steel black wheels come in the right bolt pattern. So I agree with @Chris. It most likely does not have adapters. If it has spacers all you need to do is remove them. Unless the backspacing on the wheels is to much and they rub on the undercarriage.

If it does have spacers the cost of removing them is you have to then buy wheels that match your bolt pattern. On the cheap side - like those steel black ones on it - is around $200. Plus installation.

There is a great thread around here about what to look for when buying a Jeep. My advice is to have it inspected at the dealership. It will run you around $150-200. But it's worth it. If your not a mechanic. Don't pretend to be one and inspect it yourself. Have a professional do it. You'll get a list of everything that is wrong with it. Which you can either have the owner fix or negotiate those repairs off the price of the JEep. This is what you say - "Would you mind if I paid for an inspection at your local dealership?". If they balk I personally walk. But it's a case by case basis. Generally speaking if someone is unwilling to allow their used vehicle to be inspected by a professional. They are trying to hide something.

The inspection does not supercede a thorough looking over by yourself. And driving it. In fact I'd do that first. Then take it for an inspection. As you may have specific questions you want answered after looking it over yourself. But many of us have bought vehicles out of state. Solely based on good pics and an inspection. Then having the vehicle transported to you. But that's usually for very good condition vehicles. Not ones in the mid range or low range that may need alot of repairs.

It's also possible that it previously had bigger tires and/or offset wheels. Previous owner might have changed the tires and/or wheels back to these, but left the flares and spacers (not adapters).