Does this sound like the transmission or linkage?

Rod

Having recently gotten to a point in my TJ build that I'm actually driving it, I now have a couple of transmission issues. I recently installed a factory rebuilt NV3550 manual transmission. I immediately noticed that it would pop out of 5th gear. I assumed it was related to interference from my center console. Today I noticed that I lost reverse gear.
I removed the center console, but still cannot get reverse gear. Does this sound like linkage, especially since 5th and reverse are on the same side of the pattern? Or could this be something something in my new transmission? 2 steps forward, one step back.........:oops:

There is no external linkage on a manual. I would look for interference between the body and cane “”stick”.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you might indeed have a transmission issue. I'd take it to a transmission shop if you don't want to try and diagnose it yourself. Usually they'll give you a diagnosis for free.

Reactions: Rod
If it isn’t interference between the body and stick, the only external parts you would be able to check would be removing the shifter assembly and checking it and the shift shaft rail detent spring and ball. The latter requires a specific tool to remove the detent plug. Not even sure it’s accessible with the transmission installed. Is the cane loose or feel like a lot of free-play in it?

Edit: Reread your first post. Beings your problems are reverse and 5th you may be lucky and it could just be your backup light ball switch. Easy to get to. It’s on the side of the transmission. Remove it and inspect.

Last edited:
If it isn’t interference between the body and stick, the only external parts you would be able to check would be removing the shifter assembly and checking it and the shift shaft rail detent spring and ball. The latter requires a specific tool to remove the detent plug. Not even sure it’s accessible with the transmission installed. Is the cane loose or feel like a lot of free-play in it?

Edit: Reread your first post. Beings your problems are reverse and 5th you may be lucky and it could just be your backup light ball switch. Easy to get to. It’s on the side of the transmission. Remove it and inspect.

Nothing loose. Planning on getting it to a transmission shop. 'A man's got to know his limitations.'

Reactions: mots and Daryl