Doing a trip to Mississippi

DavidBT

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My wife and I and her sister and sister-in-law are driving to Mississippi, leaving the first week of October. We will be pulling our travel trailer and the sisters-in-law will be following in their camper van. We will have GMRS radios for comms between us and of course cell phones. This will be a three week trip coming back through Santa Fe, New Mexico, then back home to South East Arizona. I'm looking for help deciding wether I should also use a Cobra hand held CB with a magnetic roof mount for help in case of accidents or bad traffic on the hwy. I was thinking it might come in handy especially since we will be traveling through the south Dallas/Fort Worth area. It's something that I could probably use in my TJR also. I'm an old part time trucker and know the limits of CB, and I really don't want to install a mobile unit in either of my vehicles.

Not much action on the CB these days but it would not hurt to have one. I just did a 2 week road trip. Flew into Wi for a week and spent a week driving to Nashville. Google maps on cell linked through the rental car’s screen worked great. It alerted us to delays and gave reroute info.

That's the thing, I usually have Google maps running when we're doing long trips since I have the 8.4" uconnect in my truck. I think I still have the waze app from my commuting days, so maybe I'll just see how it goes. I know that I would probably never use the CB radio for anything else. Most people into off road these days are switching to GMRS or Ham.

All the benefits of Waze are in Google maps now, and then some with the larger network of Google maps users.

They have different philosophies. Waze has one goal and it’s to get you where you are going as fast as possible.

The police notifications can be very handy.

Waze sucks. Twice it has really messed me over while trailering my jeep. First time it had me going up the right side of a mountain and drive down a narrow road just to find out there is a F* ferry across some river. I don't think I've even seen a ferry around my around but waze found it. Signs said no trailers, not that I wanted to try it. Just remembered so I'm editing. This is the trip that I lost my truck key and had to wait a couple of hours for a locksmith to come make me a copy.

Second time I was taking a country road and I noticed some of the other offroad vehicles that were being towed not taking the same route. I get within 2 miles of my destination only to find the bridge was completely out. I had to turn around through somebody's field (don't worry nothing was planted). Fun times in a 2wd truck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shank
Waze sucks. Twice it has really messed me over while trailering my jeep. First time it had me going up the right side of a mountain and drive down a narrow road just to find out there is a F* ferry across some river. I don't think I've even seen a ferry around my around but waze found it. Signs said no trailers, not that I wanted to try it.

Second time I was taking a country road and I noticed some of the other offroad vehicles that were being towed not taking the same route. I get within 2 miles of my destination only to find the bridge was completely out. I had to turn around through somebody's field (don't worry nothing was planted). Fun times in a 2wd truck.

Apple maps did that to me once (not as bad though). I was pulling our university's enclosed 20' trailer with a rental Powerstroke, it decided that a single lane dirt and gravel mountain road was the fastest route. Fortunately we met no oncoming traffic but I would have much preferred pavement.

Waze sucks. Twice it has really messed me over while trailering my jeep. First time it had me going up the right side of a mountain and drive down a narrow road just to find out there is a F* ferry across some river. I don't think I've even seen a ferry around my around but waze found it. Signs said no trailers, not that I wanted to try it. Just remembered so I'm editing. This is the trip that I lost my truck key and had to wait a couple of hours for a locksmith to come make me a copy.

Must have to do with users in the area. Google owns Waze and they use much the same info but Waze uses the users for the traffic info.

Around here if there’s an animal or tire laying in the road it’ll alert me before I get to it.

https://www.tomsguide.com/face-off/google-maps-vs-waze