Dome Light Issue

PJOJeep

2000 TJ Since New
Supporting Member
I’ve owned my 2000 TJ since it was new and have pulled the Door Switch Defeat fuse many times when the doors were removed. After the last time the dome light stopped working when I open the drivers door, but it works when the passenger door is opened. I figured it was the door switch on the drivers side, but the headlight reminder does work when the drivers door is opened. I’m thinking there must be a dual wire set-up on this switch and the dome light wire must be broke. Thoughts?

Looks like the switch is actually a DPDT, so even though the lamp is coming on the dash it doesn't necessarily mean the dome light will come on (as is your case). From the switch there's a yellow wire that splices together with the passenger door wire to go to the lamp itself.

Either the switch itself is bad (doubt it) or there's something going on with the wiring from the switch to the splice. Probably best to start with the wiring from the switch and see if you can find anything that looks loose or wiggle the wiring around while the Jeep is in accessory with the door open. Good luck!