Don't change trans fluid?

Can you all actually find ATF+4? I have been searching locally and found a couple quarts at Walmart, not for this transmission but other Dodge stuff.
I've never not been able to find ATF+4 on any aisle selling ATF... it's a common type of ATF. ATF+4 is ATF+4. If it works in a Dodge or Chrysler it will work just as well in a Jeep transmission.

In my area the aisles are empty of ATF+4. Went to TSC, Walmart (wiped them out), Rural King, Napa, Autozone, nothing for ATF+4. I need it for a transfer case in my Dodge truck, but can't find much. Just wondering if this is a local thing or not. I was having trouble with Diff fluid a couple months ago.

• Wow
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
In my area the aisles are empty of ATF+4. Went to TSC, Walmart (wiped them out), Rural King, Napa, Autozone, nothing for ATF+4. I need it for a transfer case in my Dodge truck, but can't find much. Just wondering if this is a local thing or not. I was having trouble with Diff fluid a couple months ago.
ATF+4 is only specified for your transfer case so it matches the type of ATF used in an automatic transmission. For your transfer case, literally any good quality of ATF will work just as well as ATF+4 will. Only an automatic transmission is fussy about its type of transmission fluid. If it says ATF it's perfect for your transfer case, really.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
I mean it's one thing to not find toilet paper, but ATF+4? Wtf. There's a bunch of other ATF stuff around, though so many manufacturers nowadays you need to just go to the dealer to get their recommended stuff, but it's annoying.

ATF+4 is only specified for your transfer case so it matches the type of ATF used in an automatic transmission. For your transfer case, literally any good quality of ATF will work just as well as ATF+4 will. Only an automatic transmission is fussy about its type of transmission fluid. If it says ATF it's perfect for your transfer case, really.
I want to say that my transmission calls for a different fluid. It's the NV4500 and for manuals I've always used Redline brand and their specific transmission they make.

I was thinking that for that transfer case, it wouldn't be much different it's pretty similar to our 231s I think, just a bit bigger.

I want to say that my transmission calls for a different fluid. It's the NV4500 and for manuals I've always used Redline brand and their specific transmission they make.

I was thinking that for that transfer case, it wouldn't be much different it's pretty similar to our 231s I think, just a bit bigger.
Oh, I was assuming your Dodge had an automatic. Yes your NV4500 manual transmission would require something different like Redline MTL. But for your transfer case, literally any type of good quality ATF will be fine, it doesn't require ATF+4 like a Chrysler automatic transmission does.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
A transmission shop told me the same thing years ago. I changed it anyway and the transmission went out within a month. It was going to go out regardless of the fluid change IMO. Bad coincidence to further fuel that rumor.

Was the tranny showing any symptoms before the fluid change?

This is one of the old wives tales that I give some credence to. Heard enough stories of it happening, and not something that's easy to test.

Plus, I've found it's really easy to not change transmission fluid. I've managed to do it in a dozen cars with no problems.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I used to do flushes back in the day for transmissions and we had kind of a substantial piece of equipment that we used. For a manual it's typically pretty easy.

I think everyone has heard that suggestion. I heard it a lot when I worked as a tech that if you waited a crazy long time that you shouldn't change the fluid, but no evidence was ever presented.

Reactions: Big-Al