Don't do this - drained battery

KCsTJ

TJ student
Supporting Member
20180509_195039.jpg

I like to hang my shop light from a factory hole under the hood when I'm working on my 97 TJ.
The light is connected to a short extension cord plugged into the 110v wall outlet.
Well, couple nights ago I forgot to unplug the light (No on/off switch) from the wall outlet.
Next morning the battery was dead as a mackerel.
I guess the ground circuit from the 110v outlet drained the negative side of the battery ?
Just a guess. Put the charger on and after an hour she cranked up.

... I guess the ground circuit from the 110v outlet drained the negative side of the battery ?
Just a guess. Put the charger on and after an hour she cranked up.
Nope that wouldn't/couldn't drain the battery. You've likely got a battery that is going bad, I'd have a good battery retailer perform a "load test" on it. And an hour isn't enough for a battery charger to completely recharge a dead battery. Overnight is best.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Chris
The pic doesn't show it, but did you unplug the factory under hood light?
That's exactly what I was thinking ...maybe it was the under bonnet light that is the guilty one. I remember my kids leaving the interior light on and the battery would be flat as a pancake by morning.

Reactions: KCsTJ
That's exactly what I was thinking ...maybe it was the under bonnet light that is the guilty one. I remember my kids leaving the interior light on and the battery would be flat as a pancake by morning.
It is important to either unplug that light or close the bonnet if you want to leave it plugged in but aren't working on it

fedaea777c63f8b3c7fbe73ae3d304e4.gif

To add to Jerry's response, not only should you let it charge overnight it should be a 2 amp trickle. Most new battery chargers do that automatically, but wouldn't you know it, I have a battery charger that still works but does not automatically trickle, so that is why I warn. If it is digital it should tell you how it is charging. If you blast it for an hour you get a surface charge that will fail a load test, but if you let it trickle overnight it will get fully charged, and will give you a more accurate load test the next day.

Just to back up what he said unless there is a freak of physics that I am not aware of your 110 light did not drain your battery. Maybe one of your doors wasn't shut all of the way? A dome light can take out a battery overnight?

Lastly if you have money to burn, have you seen my How-to on dual batteries? Just sayin!!

Reactions: KCsTJ and Kiwi TJ
To add to Jerry's response, not only should you let it charge overnight it should be a 2 amp trickle. Most new battery chargers do that automatically, but wouldn't you know it, I have a battery charger that still works but does not automatically trickle, so that is why I warn. If it is digital it should tell you how it is charging. If you blast it for an hour you get a surface charge that will fail a load test, but if you let it trickle overnight it will get fully charged, and will give you a more accurate load test the next day.

Just to back up what he said unless there is a freak of physics that I am not aware of your 110 light did not drain your battery. Maybe one of your doors wasn't shut all of the way? A dome light can take out a battery overnight?

Lastly if you have money to burn, have you seen my How-to on dual batteries? Just sayin!!
Yes I like your dual battery setup ac_. This battery came with my Jeep so i have no idea how old it is. Think I'll err on the safe side and replace it, thanks for the responses :)

Yes I like your dual battery setup ac_. This battery came with my Jeep so i have no idea how old it is. Think I'll err on the safe side and replace it, thanks for the responses :)
To be on the safe side, have it "load tested" by a good battery shop before paying for a new battery. A load test, when properly performed, will tell you the true health of the battery and whether it is in need of replacement or not.

Reactions: KCsTJ and ac_
To be on the safe side, have it "load tested" by a good battery shop before paying for a new battery. A load test, when properly performed, will tell you the true health of the battery and whether it is in need of replacement or not.
will do Jerry, thanks I'll get it load tested.
btw I do remember a digital 'bad' display on the charger, briefly, so u may have nailed it Jerry (again) :)
[ I wonder if he gets tired of being right so often ] ;-)

Don't bump your electric locker switch while cleaning the dash and not notice it either. That will kill your battery too. Don't ask how I know...

And no, I still haven't run it through a switched relay.
Same with your York compressor clutch switch. Don't ask how I know. Someday I need to move the switch to a keyed circuit.