Door latch mechanism is freezing

TheShakes90

I'm gonna try to explain this as best I can. The latch mechanism on my left full door is currently freezing up, as best as I can tell that's what's happening.

It's happened a few times today where I'll go to close the door and the latch won't secure on the hook, it is properly aligned though. When I looked at it the latch is just free hanging, I'll use something to push against it and instead of locking in position it just swings back open. I'm currently tearing apart my door and getting ready to order all new hardware from RockAuto if needed, anyone have any ideas before I do?

15794071122016625401580265318382.jpg

@xxdabroxx I was considering wd40, white lithium, and possibly anti seeze if I tear it completely down

@Chris, just got it torn down, you're talking about the plate in the mechanism and not the actual hoop correct?

Mine started doing that this winter for the first time. Anything below 20° or so. After the inside of the cab warmed up it worked fine. I figured that moisture had somehow gotten inside or just the collection of 20 years of dust and grime atop the factory lube had collected moisture and was causing the issue. I pulled the panel off, carefully pulled back the plastic liner, and sprayed Brakleen on all the pivots and connection points. After cleaning everything off and drying, I sprayed it all with WD40. Worked everything repeatedly. WD40 isn’t my usual go to for lubrication, but hoping it does the job of keeping any moisture from collecting and freezing. Haven’t had an issue since. I’ll probably go back in and re-clean and re-lube with lithium come spring.

I'm gonna try to explain this as best I can. The latch mechanism on my left full door is currently freezing up, as best as I can tell that's what's happening.

It's happened a few times today where I'll go to close the door and the latch won't secure on the hook, it is properly aligned though. When I looked at it the latch is just free hanging, I'll use something to push against it and instead of locking in position it just swings back open. I'm currently tearing apart my door and getting ready to order all new hardware from RockAuto if needed, anyone have any ideas before I do?

View attachment 135260
Happens often here too. High humidity and freezing temperatures. I've never heard of a cure other than waiting for the heater to melt the ice/frost.

There might be a cure if you tear it all apart but I just live with it. Best cure I've found is Phoenix, AZ.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mushdogs
@Chris, just got it torn down, you're talking about the plate in the mechanism and not the actual hoop correct?

I'm talking about the striker plate in the door jam on the tub. If you loosen the bolts, it can move in all directions to some degree.

They sell stuff that is made to de-ice your keyhole. Try some of that. It gets to the inside of the latch mechanism and helps clean out ice and hardened grease and goop. Then hit the inside of the keyhole with some graphite spray. That has worked for me everytime when it isn't an actual mechanical issue. About the only way to get the inside parts freed up and working again.