Door lock is busted with door shut.

ErikaJean

I locked my 2000 Jeep Wrangler and when I went to open it the key wouldn't turn all the way to the unlock position, so I entered through the passenger side and tried to unlock the door from the inside, but the lock lever is stuck between lock and unlock, and I can't push it to the unlock position. I tried the WD-40 on the key suggestion, then I reached down in there with a hanger, not having a clue what I was doing but blindly hoping the hanger would responsibly guide itself to the proper position and do some magic, but that only made it worse. I believe I finished off whatever it was that was holding onto life by a thread because something came loose, and now the key turns to the unlock position, but the inside lock is still stuck between lock/unlock.
Before I call a locksmith I was hoping to find SOMETHING online about troubleshooting this issue, but everything I run into shows what to do while the door is open. I can't even get it open to start pulling the panel, etc. Has anyone had experience with this?

I have been in a similar situation with the passenger door and as the door panel has to come off for access I wound up getting a new latch loop (the door frame loop) and I was easily able to cut the old loop with a Sawsall. I tried removing the panel with the door locked and although it is eventually possible I would not subject myself to the physical challenge ever again.

Reactions: ErikaJean
I have been in a similar situation with the passenger door and as the door panel has to come off for access I wound up getting a new latch loop (the door frame loop) and I was easily able to cut the old loop with a Sawsall. I tried removing the panel with the door locked and although it is eventually possible I would not subject myself to the physical challenge ever again.
Thanks. Yes I won't be using the sawsall. Not my forte' :) I may just take to the body shop. :'( :'(

Been there done that twice... you have to take the inner door panel off and pull the plastic dust protection back a little and it gives you access to the door latch... there, you can use your hand to lock/unlock the door.

Been there done that twice... you have to take the inner door panel off and pull the plastic dust protection back a little and it gives you access to the door latch... there, you can use your hand to lock/unlock the door.

X2!