Door Switch Shutoff Question

jordans05tj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm looking for a better way to keep the lights turned off when I remove the doors. I normally just pull the fuse, but I'd like to have a switch to control it. Quadratec makes something for this and I'm going to attach a picture of it. I don't want to spend $30 on $10 worth of stuff, and it's very simple to make. Is there anywhere I can find the terminals that will plug into the fuse block so that I could just make this myself?

Quadratec Switch.jpg

I don't know how yours works but with my '05 LJR, if I leave a door open for a few minutes, the lights go off without pulling the fuse. So I can apparently remove the doors and not worry about pulling the fuse. I have not actually left the doors off for any length of time but from all visible indications, pulling the fuse is unnecessary at least on my '05 even though the owners manual says you should.

If I want the lights on, I just press the door switch and release it and the lights come on for a few minutes. I basically simulate the door closing and then opening.

In other words, you might not need anything at all to achieve what you're after. Different models may behave differently. YMMV.

I don't know how yours works but with my '05 LJR, if I leave a door open for a few minutes, the lights go off without pulling the fuse. So I can apparently remove the doors and not worry about pulling the fuse. I have not actually left the doors off for any length of time but from all visible indications, pulling the fuse is unnecessary at least on my '05 even though the owners manual says you should.

If I want the lights on, I just press the door switch and release it and the lights come on for a few minutes. I basically simulate the door closing and then opening.

In other words, you might not need anything at all to achieve what you're after. Different models may behave differently. YMMV.
I'll have to check that then, I'll pull them sometime and see what happens since mine is also an '05. Thanks for the tip

You can just leave both doors open for 5 or 10 minutes. No need to actually remove them.

You can just leave both doors open for 5 or 10 minutes. No need to actually remove them.
I did what you said with the doors open, it took 20 minutes for them to shut off and as soon as I turned the key on it started the timer again. I'm not sure I like waiting 20 minutes with them on, I know they draw very little but I'd prefer to be able to switch it off. I'm hoping somebody knows where I can get some terminals that will plug in to the mini fuse slot and I can just make this thing myself, but if not I guess I'll just shell out the $40 lol. Nobody ever said jeeps were cheap I guess

I did what you said with the doors open, it took 20 minutes for them to shut off and as soon as I turned the key on it started the timer again. I'm not sure I like waiting 20 minutes with them on, I know they draw very little but I'd prefer to be able to switch it off. I'm hoping somebody knows where I can get some terminals that will plug in to the mini fuse slot and I can just make this thing myself, but if not I guess I'll just shell out the $40 lol. Nobody ever said jeeps were cheap I guess
I bought the switch and it works great. Yes, you could make it but to me it’s not worth my time to cobble something together.

I'm looking for a better way to keep the lights turned off when I remove the doors. I normally just pull the fuse, but I'd like to have a switch to control it. Quadratec makes something for this and I'm going to attach a picture of it. I don't want to spend $30 on $10 worth of stuff, and it's very simple to make. Is there anywhere I can find the terminals that will plug into the fuse block so that I could just make this myself?

View attachment 142984
There's a non electrical solution too...
https://www.quadratec.com/products/...6av6VZ5ptYqvcbUpoL6tNEtNGpDcoPXUaAmJBEALw_wcBor
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013RLL1G/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I bought the switch and it works great. Yes, you could make it but to me it’s not worth my time to cobble something together.
I'm too stubborn to spend $40 on theirs lol, I love soldering and all that anyway so it gives me something to do .

I've seen those but I have no idea how they're supposed to hold the switch shut lol. I always make things way more complicated then they should be.

I'm too stubborn to spend $40 on theirs lol, I love soldering and all that anyway so it gives me something to do .

I've seen those but I have no idea how they're supposed to hold the switch shut lol. I always make things way more complicated then they should be.
You just press the 2 wings together and slide it over the door pin and it pushes the button in and the spring clamps down on the body of the pin... ta-da magic..... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
1582943061068.png

You just press the 2 wings together and slide it over the door pin and it pushes the button in and the spring clamps down on the body of the pin... ta-da magic..... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 143052
I honestly thought the whole stem of the switch went flush with the door frame, now I see only the end moves. Shows how little I've paid attention to it lol, I normally just pull the fuse anyway

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
I honestly thought the whole stem of the switch went flush with the door frame, now I see only the end moves. Shows how little I've paid attention to it lol, I normally just pull the fuse anyway
The drawback to those springs is you have to remember that they're there when you put your doors back on.

I just spliced into the wire behind the fuse and ran it to a two-way switch that I mounted into one of the blanks in my console. Clean and didn’t cost me anything since I already had the switch.

I just spliced into the wire behind the fuse and ran it to a two-way switch that I mounted into one of the blanks in my console. Clean and didn’t cost me anything since I already had the switch.
The thought crossed my mind but I'd prefer it to be all plug and play so I can remove it if I sell the Jeep down the line.