Door wire loom ideas?

BigFishIII

Relapsing Jeep addict
Supporting Member
Hi all,
I installed power locks and windows, and I do not like the bare wiring near the door catch strap. I have been researching this, but cant seem to find the right thing, except from a chinese company site i dont trust. Ive looked at summit etc and cant find anything quite like these. I can do tubber and seals but has anyone seen something like this? I couldnt find any applicable threads here either.

1678828866120.png

Hi all,
I installed power locks and windows, and I do not like the bare wiring near the door catch strap. I have been researching this, but cant seem to find the right thing, except from a chinese company site i dont trust. Ive looked at summit etc and cant find anything quite like these. I can do tubber and seals but has anyone seen something like this? I couldnt find any applicable threads here either.

View attachment 407387

you plan on keeping your doors removable?

Yes and to protect wiring from door pinch, boot kick etc.

i'd just wrap the wires in sheathing and tie the loom to the door strap if it was me, don't see where there would be any issue unless the kit you purchased didn't come with wires or connectors and you had to make them yourself.

I think that you're overthinking it. Regular wire loom would work well, just figure what kind of connectors you want to use. Something like this, maybe:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4027556208...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
View attachment 407392

Mine is custom wiring and actuators. I was an avionics tech and engineer, so naturally, I like to over-do if i am doing anything at all. I do not like split wire wrap or braided wrap in that area. I often wear higher work boots with the shoe string hooks. they get worn and can be sharp. I do not want to catch anything on them. I have plenty of av-grade mesh wire wrap and glued heat shrink, which i have done complete engine harnesses and aircraft harnesses in less accessed areas. Those are often rigid for 1-2" past connector and mesh is a catch point. Something rubber so durable and flexible. Ive seen the "pigtail" loom and don't like that either over time. I have Amphenol mil/AV connectors already with a "dummy plug port" to secure when doors are off to prevent rattling.

@Mall'er I did consider contact point like that, just not a good flat/wide enough surface area inside door/tub surface that I would want to mount and pressure washing/water intrusion. Plus, I couldn't roll windows down or lock with the door open.

I am not looking for cheapest easiest way. This jeep is new to me and I intend for this one to be here a while and enjoy a more complex/quality overall.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Mine is custom wiring and actuators. I was an avionics tech and engineer, so naturally, I like to over-do if i am doing anything at all. I do not like split wire wrap or braided wrap in that area. I often wear higher work boots with the shoe string hooks. they get worn and can be sharp. I do not want to catch anything on them. I have plenty of av-grade mesh wire wrap and glued heat shrink, which i have done complete engine harnesses and aircraft harnesses in less accessed areas. Those are often rigid for 1-2" past connector and mesh is a catch point. Something rubber so durable and flexible. Ive seen the "pigtail" loom and don't like that either over time. I have Amphenol mil/AV connectors already with a "dummy plug port" to secure when doors are off to prevent rattling.

@Mall'er I did consider contact point like that, just not a good flat/wide enough surface area inside door/tub surface that I would want to mount and pressure washing/water intrusion. Plus, I couldn't roll windows down or lock with the door open.

I am not looking for cheapest easiest way. This jeep is new to me and I intend for this one to be here a while and enjoy a more complex/quality overall.

now we have the full picture. looking forward to what you come up with!

Just use a couple Delphi connectors and sheathing.

I dont like Delphis either. I bought amazon pack of auto waterproof connectors and hate them. The clips are shitty and in cold weather, I constantly snap them. Its not the wiring or connectors I am looking for. More so a flex "accordion" rubber that will stretch far enough with door open, but not "bulge" when closed. Im 6'3 and limited enough in the LJ :ROFLMAO:

now we have the full picture. looking forward to what you come up with!

I'll do some full write-ups of all I've done and let you know. Its always a battle on forums with "keep it simple and to the point" or "online recipe life story and reasoning why I didn't do whats common." lol

Reactions: Ocho
I dont like Delphis either. I bought amazon pack of auto waterproof connectors and hate them. The clips are shitty and in cold weather, I constantly snap them. Its not the wiring or connectors I am looking for. More so a flex "accordion" rubber that will stretch far enough with door open, but not "bulge" when closed. Im 6'3 and limited enough in the LJ :ROFLMAO:

Oh ok. and yesterday I doubled up a zip tie to hold a trailer wire around my hitch, looks like crap, but better than dragging on the road, lol

I'm guessing you've already searched how car manufacturers do it. And of course they are mostly same style.

Oh ok. and yesterday I doubled up a zip tie to hold a trailer wire around my hitch, looks like crap, but better than dragging on the road, lol

I'm guessing you've already searched how car manufacturers do it. And of course they are mostly same style.

Oh absolutely. In most applications or in uncommonly used spots, definitely. I have plenty of temp and hack jobs. Like my trailer wiring is also currently wrapped and zip tied around the rear frame. No bumper. until I get everything I decide on replacing smitty/Metal cloak and rust restore the frame and everywhere and then redo it. Just did a heater core replacement and broke about 3 of the clips on the dash connectors. Eventually I want this one looking like new.

Oh absolutely. In most applications or in uncommonly used spots, definitely. I have plenty of temp and hack jobs. Like my trailer wiring is also currently wrapped and zip tied around the rear frame. No bumper. until I get everything I decide on replacing smitty/Metal cloak and rust restore the frame and everywhere and then redo it. Just did a heater core replacement and broke about 3 of the clips on the dash connectors. Eventually I want this one looking like new.

oem jl strap is 68349628AB if you want to keep it mopar.. i don't have a jl so i can't confirm the presence of a zipper or not but might be worth a shot!

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-check-front-door~68349628ab.html