Double DIN Bezel Options

lunchbox3

Didn't see anything specifically on point, so I'm wondering if we can get a thread going on the best double din bezel options for our TJs. I've got a 97, and I see a few options on Amazon for the double din bezel replacements. Do you all have any opinions on which kit is the best?

Haven't seen that one before — as its pre-'03 specific, it'd probably be a good choice. Can't complain about the price.

Is the hecasa the same as the metra? They look slightly different but maybe I’m just imagining that.

They're identical as far as I know.

You have to understand that much like LED lights and so many other cheap things, these parts are all made in the same manufacturing facility in China and just marketed under different names. That's the name of the game these days.

Reactions: primetime4
I just installed a double din unit (Sony XAV-AX1000) in my 99 TJ. I used the Metra version. I had no problems with the bezel. Just follow the instructions. I did have to do some fabricating to mount the radio... as 97-03 models (I believe) only use two mounting points for the stock unit. The 04-07 models have four mounting points. There is a plastic piece that separates the stock radio from the HVAC controls which has to be cut out. When you do, you actually cut out one of the mounting points, which means you have to fabricate a new mounting point for one side so the new radio has something to screw into. There are several ways to do this. It's not hard, just extra work for the older TJ's.

I got mine for my last LJ from Custom Install Parts through Amazon. This was before Metra offered one. There was one detail I liked a lot that the Metra '03+ doesn't but their earlier model does which was squaring off the bezel opening around the HVAC controls to match the stereo opening. It's a little detail, but it makes a difference and why I would've gone with them again for a little more money over the Metra if I hadn't found a floating screen single-DIN option I liked better.

I got mine for my last LJ from Custom Install Parts through Amazon. This was before Metra offered one. There was one detail I liked a lot that the Metra '03+ doesn't but their earlier model does which was squaring off the bezel opening around the HVAC controls to match the stereo opening. It's a little detail, but it makes a difference and why I would've gone with them again for a little more money over the Metra if I hadn't found a floating screen single-DIN option I liked better.
I didn't know that about the square HVAC opening, kinda cool! Doesn't matter in my install anyway, I installed two single DINs into the "double DIN" opening. Took QUITE a bit of doing, but it worked in the end!

My only complaint with the metro kit I used were the side brackets that actually mount the radio were super brittle. Both sides wound up breaking on me about a month or two after install while driving a heavily washboarded road. And the deck slid into the dash. It was an easy fix as I just built my own brackets out of sheet metal and all was good after that. Not sure if I just got a kit with a bad run of plastic or what

My only complaint with the metro kit I used were the side brackets that actually mount the radio were super brittle. Both sides wound up breaking on me about a month or two after install while driving a heavily washboarded road. And the deck slid into the dash. It was an easy fix as I just built my own brackets out of sheet metal and all was good after that. Not sure if I just got a kit with a bad run of plastic or what
Mine were the opposite - the plastic is very soft. They'd be MUCH better if they didn't have 50 million pre-drilled holes in them - none of which were in a usable location. As I was doing a double single DIN install, the pair of single DIN sleeves helped re-enforce.

Reactions: Rescue6
I've been considering doing a double DIN upgrade. However, I went to my go to stereo place, Crutchfield, and discovered they are out of stock on almost every stereo I would want ! :mad:

Share please! ;)

Joying 8.8" Single-DIN
Apple CarPlay (wired/wireless) & Android Auto

It's been updated since I bought mine this summer. Installed it looks like it was made for the TJ and definitely freshens up the technology and modernizes it nicely. It did require a few minor tweaks to fit perfectly, but they were very simple. The widescreen aspect ratio is better than double-DIN IMO... This is my third CarPlay unit and by far my favorite.

Single-DIN adapter and harnesses soldered/shrink wrapped and the unit ready to go in:

tempImageqnNxG5.png

Final installed position:

tempImageYCpRHW.png

tempImageLz4frq.png

ED1394C3-79A7-4886-8358-7D2500B8D35A_1_201_a.jpeg

I also added wireless steering wheel controls since the lack of a physical volume button was a pain.

tempImagedDaVxb.png

Happy to answer any questions. Being a Chinese Android-based unit, it has a few quirks, but so did my Alpine and Sony CarPlay units, so it's nothing that would stop me from buying it again.

Joying 8.8" Single-DIN
Apple CarPlay (wired/wireless) & Android Auto

It's been updated since I bought mine this summer. Installed it looks like it was made for the TJ and definitely freshens up the technology and modernizes it nicely. It did require a few minor tweaks to fit perfectly, but they were very simple. The widescreen aspect ratio is better than double-DIN IMO... This is my third CarPlay unit and by far my favorite.

Single-DIN adapter and harnesses soldered/shrink wrapped and the unit ready to go in:

View attachment 217719

Final installed position:

View attachment 217722

View attachment 217721

View attachment 217720

I also added wireless steering wheel controls since the lack of a physical volume button was a pain.

View attachment 217723

Happy to answer any questions. Being a Chinese Android-based unit, it has a few quirks, but so did my Alpine and Sony CarPlay units, so it's nothing that would stop me from buying it again.
This is awesome. How do you get the connector for the factory plug?

This is awesome. How do you get the connector for the factory plug?

I got the single-DIN adapter and harness adapter from Amazon. The Joying had an ISO harness plug, so I ordered this as well, but it didn't arrive in time so I just cut the ISO plug from the Joying harness and joined it with the adapter in the other link.

And the steering wheel controls were these.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep and Irun