Double DIN radio anti-theft cover

Dan_man

Supporting Member
Does anyone make a double din anti theft cover for a tj? Or is there any diy ones anyone have seen? I want to take my top off but the first owner put it a really nice stereo and I don’t want it to get stolen.

Save your money. Things like this don’t deter a thief at all, no kidding. If they want it, they’ll just pry said cover right off and take your head unit.

Things like this are nothing more than a gimmick in my opinion.

That being said, I don’t know of anything like this. Maybe someone else will.

Save your money. Things like this don’t deter a thief at all, no kidding. If they want it, they’ll just pry said cover right off and take your head unit.

Things like this are nothing more than a gimmick in my opinion.

That being said, I don’t know of anything like this. Maybe someone else will.
If I can’t find anything I will end up fabing something that I can bolt into the Uber dash then lock to a tab on the center console and maybe be able to lock the shifter to it but idk I just wanted to see if there is anyone out there with one

What kind of head unit is it? There is a metal rod that is in the dash that was screwed to the OEM unit. Sometimes you have to remove it to get the new one in and sometime not. If it's still there you can put a cable on it and screw that into the chassis of the head unit. That's what I did with my double din unit. It will slow someone down but as Chris noted, it won't stop them if they really want it.

Like everyone has said — if they're motivated, they're going to get it, but I can't even think of the last time someone mentioned getting a head unit stolen to me, but I don't live in a high-crime area. So much more valuable stuff is left in cars these days. I think the lock box style ones make it look like you've got something worth stealing (and I haven't seen one for a double DIN for a tj), but they make covers that will cover a double din until to make it look like it's a basic old CD player from 20+ years ago. $10, universal fit. If it doesn't fit, not much of a loss. You could even mod the cover to make it look different from other fake covers.

This kind of thing:

https://www.ebay.com/i/141646124868...gMc9hZ9Rpgw7aVTAoqQh9BDyakFW-G4gaAjcuEALw_wcB

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I had my headunit stolen about 10 years ago. Guy unzipped the back window, reached up and unlocked the passenger door, and was in and out in under 30 seconds. Caught and got 8-15 cause he was busted with a lot of hot stereos.
I just installed a double din and I fashioned angle brackets out of metal truss plates. Bolted those into the sides of the stereo, and then bolted to the plastic dash. That way, if someone attempts to use the quick removal tools, it won’t be able to separate the stereo from the brackets, thus preventing basic theft attempts. If someone really wants my $169 Dual headunit, they are going to have to rip out the center bezel and then break the stereo out.

24921FAC-4404-4FA2-8715-877E7C663F80.jpeg

937BD117-630F-4D13-90B9-A707D4563E6E.jpeg

Reactions: grumblebee