Doubt in lift between rear and front

Don Bulee

TJ Enthusiast
Hello my friends, I have never measured my lift because it looks well balanced between front and rear... But since I was thinking in getting two pairs of rubicon express coil springs I just measured the rear and front springs in my rig, big surprise.... They are off like 2 inches... My front coil spring measures 16 inches (4 inches of lift) but my rear only 10 inches.... (2 inches of lift)... My question here is.... Do anybody have any idea why my jeep does not look like more lifted in the front? He even look a bit more lifted in the rear...

20220207_162357.jpg

20220207_162357.jpg

20220207_164121.jpg

Hello my friends, I have never measured my lift because it looks well balanced between front and rear... But since I was thinking in getting two pairs of rubicon express coil springs I just measured the rear and front springs in my rig, big surprise.... They are off like 2 inches... My front coil spring measures 16 inches (4 inches of lift) but my rear only 10 inches.... (2 inches of lift)... My question here is.... Do anybody have any idea why my jeep does not look like more lifted in the front? He even look a bit more lifted in the rear...

View attachment 308012

View attachment 308014

View attachment 308015
Do you have a picture of the rear setup?

Many here will advise or recommend to stay away from Rubicon Express springs. In general they typically are one of the shortest free lengths with a higher spring rate. Ideally you'd want a longer free length with a lower spring rate for off-roading. Most here would also advise you to get rid of that large coil spacer for a longer spring.

Do you have a picture of the rear setup?

Many here will advise or recommend to stay away from Rubicon Express springs. In general they typically are one of the shortest free lengths with a higher spring rate. Ideally you'd want a longer free length with a lower spring rate for off-roading. Most here would also advise you to get rid of that large coil spacer for a longer spring.
Well.. The intention of getting a new pair of coil springs was because of the coil spacer.. I know they are not the best and since I first measured 16 inches in the front I assumed that I could get the 4.5 coil springs for rubicon express without changing anything else... (well.. Maybe some rancho shocks...) but if I order the four 4.5 inches springs for rubicon express Im afraid to look like a roadster...

20220207_170503.jpg

It’s a little hard to tell but do you have a rear coil spacer? TJs come with about .75” of rake so if your springs are basically 11” then you’d sit pretty level like pictured.

You may get more than 4.5” out of the rubicon express but maybe not.

They probably just wanted to get rid of the take so they through in a spacer that was probably a little too big and it was satisfactory for them. Luckily, you as the new owner can right their wrong and get rid of that spacer for a longer coil lol

They probably just wanted to get rid of the take so they through in a spacer that was probably a little too big and it was satisfactory for them. Luckily, you as the new owner can right their wrong and get rid of that spacer for a longer coil lol
So... The big question... Im about to order a new set of RE springs... Should I order the 4.5 inches for front and rear even when the rear only appears to have like 2.5/3.0 inches of lift? 🤔

If you’re wanting your Jeep to sit level or close to it then order the same length. So 4.5”.

But it will still be 16 inches front vs 10.5 in the rear.. That's what is rare...
Maybe. Everyone measures a little different.
Rears are hard because of the bow. Looks like 11" to me.
In the front, it looks like you're missing the oem isolator.
So the 2" spacer is really only adding 1.5".

IMO, a (new) 4.5" lift, plus a 1.25 BL, is going to sit much higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: imahnu
Maybe. Everyone measures a little different.
Rears are hard because of the bow. Looks like 11" to me.
In the front, it looks like you're missing the oem isolator.
So the 2" spacer is really only adding 1.5".

IMO, a (new) 4.5" lift, plus a 1.25 BL, is going to sit much higher.
Well... I hope that I can get away with the spring exchange without changing anything else!!