Down mountain roads with 37' 5th wheel?

Brianj5600

TJ Expert
I'm leaving Woodland Park heading to Grand Lake today. I have pulled many trailers in the mountains, but not one this big. I'm pulling with a 2014 2500 GMC Duramax and curious what max RPMs when downshifting on a long descent? Any other tip very welcome and tag someone that is a seasoned mountain please.

Don't ride the brakes. Repeat: DON'T RIDE THE BRAKES! Slow way down then get off of them! Repeat as necessary. If you even THINK your brakes are overheating, STOP somewhere and let them cool off - although I never had that happen.

You'll piss everybody off who is behind you, but too bad - let them pass as you're able. If they're pulling trailers themselves, you'll catch up with them, pulled over to the side with stinking brakes! Happens EVERY time! Flatlanders...

Last edited:
Reactions: Brianj5600
Thanks for the tips. It does have a factory engine brake, but doesn't seem real effective. I am an engine breaker. The brake check coming down pike's peak towards the end of the day I had the lowest brake temp of the day, 140 degrees.

Thanks for the tips. It does have a factory engine brake, but doesn't seem real effective. I am an engine breaker. The brake check coming down pike's peak towards the end of the day I had the lowest brake temp of the day, 140 degrees.
That's the way it should be. People don't realize that brakes are for slowing a vehicle down, NOT for maintaining vehicle speed! I see so many flat landers riding their brakes down mountain passes, then wondering why they're burning up!

That's the way it should be. People don't realize that brakes are for slowing a vehicle down, NOT for maintaining vehicle speed! I see so many flat landers riding their brakes down mountain passes, then wondering why they're burning up!

Auto engine brake and set the cruise. My truck will do its thing and is very easy to drive with a load.

My truck will tell you cruise is unavailable if the brakes get too hot. Had that happen once in California, hotter than hell day and I was passing cars throughout the mountains.

Last edited:
The pass I was a concerned about, Berthoud, is a lot wider and the really tight turns are opened up. The last time I went through there with a trailer was 20+ years ago. The truck worked great and downshifted when brakes were applied allowing me to use the brake pedal sparingly. Thanks all!

This is the 4th year in a row I have planned either 3 or 4 weeks of vacation to go out West with my parents. They are not really able to handle all the things needed by themselves any more. They have both had health problems and twice they where in the hospital at the same time. I was afraid to plan anything because it seemed like bad luck. Some day I'll have my jeep out here and play a little.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
i thought a friend of mine was nuts when he told me when decending down hill on the highway towing his 38' 5th wheel he puts it into 4 low. His 01 dodge/cummins has 340,000 on it now with 1 trans rebuild and the original T case. He clearlydont give 2 shits about who's behind him.

The Duramax will rev up to 4k rpms under exhaust braking. Don't be afraid to run it 3k to 4k for effective exhaust braking to control your downhill speed.
This, theres a big difference between revving under power and coasting.
Coast range is marked right on the tach of my older duramax.4750rpms