Drag link broke mid turn

jazz-n-tj

TJ Enthusiast
As I was driving my kiddos home, I made a left turn and mid corner I heard a snap and lost all steering. Thankfully I was turning left and I was able to coast to the side of the road. Thankfully it didn't break mid-right turn and cause me to go uncontrollably into oncoming traffic or when I was on the freeway or driving up or down a mountain road. After getting a few tools I found that the Draglink threads to the sleeve were basically completely gone. To limp home a mile I jammed the sleeve back onto the draglink by steering them back together and then clamping the sleeve very tight.

Question 1: What would cause the threads to have been that worn down? Has it likely been just holding on by a few threads since I bought the TJ a few years ago? I just want to ensure that this never happens again. When I have adjusted the steering wheel, I have always torqued the sleeve clamp bolts to the correct torque.

Question 2: Once I replace everything, I will have to figure out from scratch how long to make the draglink. With that said, I will have to start with the steering wheel centered. For this to be done, will the pitman arm be directly facing towards the back of the Jeep? Or should I count a certain amount of turns from full lock in either direction to find center? Does this make sense on what I am asking?

Question 3: Obviously, I need some new equipment. I plan to do the ZJ upgrade and just want to confirm that I have all the items that I will need to replace everything.

(2x) ES3096L Tie Rod End https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C59W7U/?tag=wranglerorg-20
(2x) ES2079S Sleeve https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C57VBY/?tag=wranglerorg-20
(1x) DS1312 ZJ Tie Rod https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C5400E/?tag=wranglerorg-20
(1x) DS1430 TJ Drag link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C5406S/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Is there anything else I would need to completely upgrade my steering?

I am running a 4 inch suspension lift on 33" tires.

upload_2018-7-6_9-58-47-png.png

Last edited:
Never heard of that one ...can you post pics of broken drag link. If @mrblaine gets on here, he can answer all that an more. Steering is his wheelhouse.

That's the right parts list. Missing a steering damper if you want to replace that, but as long as yours is still ok I'd just reuse it.

No idea how it could strip the threads if the sleeve was bolted down properly.

When you assemble it just get it hooked up first with the steering wheel centered, then set the toe in. At that point drive it back and forth a bit until you're sure it's tracking perfectly straight. Most likely the steering wheel won't be dead center. Park it, adjust the drag link until the steering wheel is centered. This may take a few tries, you can get it dead on while parked and then find after driving a bit that it's slightly off. Not a big deal unless your OCD like me.

I will have to figure out from scratch how long to make the draglink. With that said, I will have to start with the steering wheel centered. For this to be done, will the pitman arm be directly facing towards the back of the Jeep? Or should I count a certain amount of turns from full lock in either direction to find center? Does this make sense on what I am asking?
You're overthinking it.
1. Attach the drag link to the passenger knuckle and pitman arm
2. Attach the tie rod to the drag link and driver knuckle
3. Use the tie rod adjustment sleeve to set toe-in.
4. Use the drag link adjustment sleeve to center the steering wheel

Last edited:
@AndyG I will get pictures once I disassemble it again. As I said it is just clamped together right now, which enabled me to limp home with very light steering input.

@WallyWest I think mine is still fine, if not I will get one. I just wanted to make sure I get the correct items necessary to get it back on the road.

@jjvw @mrblaine I figured that. When I bought it I checked the torques and it was good. I have a feeling that it has been hanging on by a couple threads since I bought it a couple years ago. That is kind of scary to think of what I have done with it that lose. I have always really been very careful about torquing things correctly.

@SecondChanceTJ I get that process. I just want to start with it as close to the correct length as possible. If I start with the steering wheel up, there are multiple turns it can be facing up and each one with have the pitman arm at a different angle. I just am wanting to confirm that the pitman arm should be straight back and not angled to one side when have the steering wheel facing up.

How do you know if the stabilizer is good or bad. Should there just be resistance in both directions kind of like Rancho shock absorbers?

Starting with the drag link close to the correct length is as pointless as starting the control arms at close to the correct length. It doesn't matter where you start. You will always end up at the correct length anyway if you are doing the job correctly.

Reactions: Tob
I get that process. I just want to start with it as close to the correct length as possible. If I start with the steering wheel up, there are multiple turns it can be facing up and each one with have the pitman arm at a different angle. I just am wanting to confirm that the pitman arm should be straight back and not angled to one side when have the steering wheel facing up.
Okay I get what you're saying. I went out to test it out and take some pics since you made me curious. Here's how mine sits.

Tires straight, steering wheel centered:

IMG_0477.JPEG

It sits slightly cocked to the driver's side.

One steering wheel revolution to the right:

IMG_0479.JPEG

Now slightly cocked to passenger side.

Recentered tires, then one revolution to the left:
IMG_0482.JPEG

Now, sorry, you weren't all the way overthinking it. I see what you're saying. Just use common sense when setting it up. Get the pitman arm as close to centered as allowable. I'd say the first two pictures are okay as an example of pitman arm position with straight wheels but not the last.

Okay I get what you're saying. I went out to test it out and take some pics since you made me curious. Here's how mine sits.

Tires straight, steering wheel centered:

View attachment 222019
It sits slightly cocked to the driver's side.

One steering wheel revolution to the right:

View attachment 222020
Now slightly cocked to passenger side.

Recentered tires, then one revolution to the left:
View attachment 222021

Now, sorry, you weren't all the way overthinking it. I see what you're saying. Just use common sense when setting it up. Get the pitman arm as close to centered as allowable. I'd say the first two pictures are okay as an example of pitman arm position with straight wheels but not the last.
You roughly center the pitman with the steering wheel straight. The pitman when you are done will usually be slightly off to the left side of the rig.

Reactions: Tob