Drag Link Play (video)

Thor

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
We’ve been chasing down a clunk/knocking sound when turning left. I’ve been checking stuff all over and checking if things are tight and came across this. Is this type of rotation on the drag link normal?

I figured play would be there especially with it mounted on the ball joints but I didn’t know if that was an excessive amount. It doesn’t make more force for me to rotate the assembly. I appreciate the quick response Jerry.

Is your steering stabilizer wet? Looks like it might be from the video. If it is, most likely it is blown out. One cause of blown out stabilizers is bottoming out. Could that be your source of clunk/knocking?

No it’s not wet. It looks like it’s been painted from the PO and the shiny parts you are seeing is where the paint has come off and expose the original surface.

Reactions: WSS
I figured play would be there especially with it mounted on the ball joints but I didn’t know if that was an excessive amount. It doesn’t make more force for me to rotate the assembly. I appreciate the quick response Jerry.

the rotation is normal and required but if you're doing that by hand, the rod ends are much more loose than mine are.

The key to allowing that rotation is that it can rotate without changing the effective length of the link. The tie rod roll in an inverted T steering setup that's discussed in a negative light a lot around here is bad because the roll of the tie rod changes the effective length of the drag link, creating the dead spot when changing directions, as the pitman arm can swing without creating an associated movement of the knuckles.

Normal it may be, moving it that easy as stated above is not a good thing. I just rebuilt a tj factory steering set up on a stock jeep. Autozone brand parts are never my go to. But after talking to my local rep he stated that their gold series is a complete redesign with quality boot, corrosion resistant coating etc. I don't have a lot of miles on them yet but the initial quality is exceptional, they are not the same as other brands. You may want to give them a looking into.

Make sure your clamp for the tie rod on the drivers side isn’t hitting the lower sway bar link mount, also lift the jeep and wiggle tire to check for slack and spin it to see if the axle u joint is acting up. Also take a look at the steering shaft u joint for pops or interference.

If that doesn’t work, plan all trips for right turns.

I read somewhere most accidents happen within 2 miles of home, so I moved 5 miles away.