Drainage Hose

Peter Panagakos

TJ Enthusiast
I have a 2006 TJ with the 4.0 and Auto Trans. Over the last two weeks I had something happen that I've never seen before. The Jeep is in my garage and it is getting cold here now at night. I let it sit in the garage for a week and then when I started it on the weekend what looks like coolant dripped on to the frame on the passenger side right in front of the fire wall. All I see there is a drainage hose that I assume comes from the heater/ A/C unit. There is nothing else near there, I drove it and nothing, no more drip, totally dry. Let it sit in the garage another week and it happened again. Drove it, no leak of any kind. I ran the heater and it works fine. I could use some advise here. Has anyone seen this before and if so what is it caused by. I checked the drainage hose as well and see no sign of any leaking.

That’s the drain for the HVAC box. Clear water will drain out from condensation on the evap core. Unfortunately, if coolant is leaking, you have a leaking heater core.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/another-heater-core-replacement-and-a-c-evap-core.15568/

Yes, that's what I thought. What I don't get is it did this just when I first went to drive the Jeep after sitting for a week. After I drove it there was no leaking at all. Right now it is sitting in the garage again and this morning, totally dry. I started the engine and turned heater and nothing leaked. I bet if it sits for a week it will do it again.

Yes, that's what I thought. What I don't get is it did this just when I first went to drive the Jeep after sitting for a week. After I drove it there was no leaking at all. Right now it is sitting in the garage again and this morning, totally dry. I started the engine and turned heater and nothing leaked. I bet if it sits for a week it will do it again.

Put a small amount off the drip on your finger and taste it. You know what water tastes like, antifreeze has a sweet taste. I replaced the heater core in my 06 TJ some time ago. NOT FUN!

I could smell mine in the cab when I first had a blast of air or heat when it started up.I figured it was coming, then one day I had a small puddle under that drain.

Yours may just be starting to crack and leak.

I could smell mine in the cab when I first had a blast of air or heat when it started up.I figured it was coming, then one day I had a small puddle under that drain.

Yours may just be starting to crack and leak.

I think so. Small puddle is what I had too. I'm assuming now it has to be the heater core and there is no way I could do that job. My Jeep has A/C too, I just never used it so it is not charged. I read I would have to remove the entire unit to get at the heater core. Now I guess I decide if I think this repair is worth it or if a should pass the Jeep on to someone else disclosing this of course. I recently replaced the entire cooling system, pump, fan clutch, radiator, thermostat and all hoses. I wonder if that helped cause this.

I think so. Small puddle is what I had too. I'm assuming now it has to be the heater core and there is no way I could do that job. My Jeep has A/C too, I just never used it so it is not charged. I read I would have to remove the entire unit to get at the heater core. Now I guess I decide if I think this repair is worth it or if a should pass the Jeep on to someone else disclosing this of course. I recently replaced the entire cooling system, pump, fan clutch, radiator, thermostat and all hoses. I wonder if that helped cause this.

For me it was an 8 hour job. The fun part was the cussing...

Reactions: tr21triton
Personally I didn't think the job was that bad. It's time consuming — I don't think 8 hours is unreasonable. There aren't any specialty tools or skills needed though. I replaced the AC evaporator at the same time.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Personally I didn't think the job was that bad. It's time consuming — I don't think 8 hours is unreasonable. There aren't any specialty tools or skills needed though. I replaced the AC evaporator at the same time.

I did the same thing, I did the evap and core at the same time.

Reactions: MountaineerTom

From my memory, when I took the Jeep to get the A/C evacuated in 2018, I asked the guy how much they would charge someone to change the heater core, just out of curiosity. He said $800-something. 😳 He knew I was doing it myself, but I did take it back to them to get the A/C recharged.

If you were close by, I’d help you do it.