Drilling out the taper in the swaybar

bluejeep

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'd like to make the holes in my front swaybar from tapered to a straight bore 1/2", but for the life of me can't get a drill to make much of a dent. Is there a different sort of bit I can use in my drill press or do I have to go to get it machined?

I'd like to make the holes in my front swaybar from tapered to a straight bore 1/2", but for the life of me can't get a drill to make much of a dent. Is there a different sort of bit I can use in my drill press or do I have to go to get it machined?
You're in the wrong section but I have successfully drilled the holes in swaybars out to 1/2" to convert to rod ends many times. I use a solid carbide 82 degree countersink with a 1/2" OD and lean on it with a hand drill. Drill press if you can get it under the quill is even better. If you use this method, do not buy the brazed style to use with a hand drill, any side load at all pops the carbide section off the shank.

You're in the wrong section but I have successfully drilled the holes in swaybars out to 1/2" to convert to rod ends many times. I use a solid carbide 82 degree countersink with a 1/2" OD and lean on it with a hand drill. Drill press if you can get it under the quill is even better. If you use this method, do not buy the brazed style to use with a hand drill, any side load at all pops the carbide section off the shank.
I'll give that a shot - thanks. Does it make it any easier coming from the underside or the top?

well i will receive my carbide 82 deg countersink in a few days (yellowbook - mcmaster carr) and immediately put it in a padded case under lock and key, maybe even an armed guard - sucker is expensive. But if it works, it's worth it