Driveline or Tire Noise Coming From Center or Front End After 20 Minutes of Freeway Driving

Jay MacLeay

TJ Enthusiast
The past few days I've noticed a grinding/growling noise coming from the front end/center of the Jeep. It only happens after driving at highway speeds (65-75mph) for about 20 minutes. If I put my foot on the clutch while driving the sound is still there. Once I get off the highway and I'm driving on surface streets the sound is still there when the Jeep is moving. I put it in 4-hi and the sound didn't change. Any thoughts on what it could be? Seems like it's driveline or tire-related. I should note that the front passenger side axle seal is leaking. I ordered a new seal and have been monitoring the fluid levels.

Does the sound stay the same regardless of speed? Does it stay the same regardless of what RPM you're at?

It could be a bearing of some sort getting hot and making noise after the highway. Check your front axle ujoints, wheel bearings, and front axle ujoints.

Have you looked at your differential oil? Any sparkles? It could be a differential bearing going out.

Diff oil is good. I other day I feared the noise was the gears in the front axle getting hot and making noise after the highway. I drained the diff to see how much oil was in there and it was a decent amount. The leak doesn't seem to be too bad. I then refilled the diff.

Try using a IR temperature gun and seeing if any components are hotter than others after a highway drive? A FLIR camera would be better if you happen to have access to one.

The flir one is an amazing tool if you justify the cost. Good for cars. Good for finding heat leaks in the house. Fun at parties.

Anyway, also check if your brakes are hot. One caliper may not be backing off all the way when warm.