Drivers seat belt (Little things that are hugely annoying!)

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Drivers side seat belt gets this little fold in the edge, which jams in the slider on the belt and prevents the belt from retracting. It leaves the excess belt loose and floppy. It ends up right in line with the door striker and gets mashed when I close the door. A small issue but utterly annoying. Right up there with phone cords getting knotted up.

Are the TJ seat belts interchangeable either left to right or front to back? A new set of belts isn't cheap.

Little things that are hugely annoying!​

Oh, I thought you wanted us to list them. I was going to say "People who complain about minor shit" like "Drivers side seat belt gets this little fold in the edge, which jams in the slider on the belt and prevents the belt from retracting. It leaves the excess belt loose and floppy. It ends up right in line with the door striker and gets mashed when I close the door".
p.s. I won't say anything now. 19 Jeeps and I've never had that issue or it was too insignificant to waste other people's time reading my whiny post.
p.p.s. I've never caught my pants belt loop getting out of any of my Jeeps either (Zorba taught me to wear fashionable skirts when the weather permits). If I do, I will post it though. 🤫

Last edited:
Reactions: harbiison

Little things that are hugely annoying!​

Oh, I thought you wanted us to list them. I was going to say "People who complain about minor shit" like "Drivers side seat belt gets this little fold in the edge, which jams in the slider on the belt and prevents the belt from retracting. It leaves the excess belt loose and floppy. It ends up right in line with the door striker and gets mashed when I close the door".
p.s. I won't say anything now. 19 Jeeps and I've never had that issue or it was too insignificant to waste other people's time reading my whiny post.
p.p.s. I've never caught my pants belt loop getting out of any of my Jeeps either (Zorba taught me to wear fashionable skirts when the weather permits). If I do, I will post it though. 🤫

Thank you for this. Sorry if it is too insignificant of a post.
Given the word count and edits, I suspect your post consumed more time and bandwidth than mine did, but who am I to comment about that. It might be misinterpreted as whining.. :oops:

So, does anyone know if the belts are interchangeable?

I don't know if the left and right belts are different.

All I do know about this is that none of our Jeep seat belts have little fold in the edge, which jams in the slider on the belt and prevents the belt from retracting but my wife is 10 times more likely to mash whatever belt she is using, usually the passenger side. It also happens to her when I drive her JK.

Also, I have two pairs of jeans with broken belt loops but IIRC, getting out of my son's YJ caused those.

Reactions: Thunderhead
Trust me, there are all sorts of things one can get their skirts caught in, and I've done most of them one time or another.

Trust me, there are all sorts of things one can get their skirts caught in, and I've done most of them one time or another.
I'm told it can wreck havoc on your golf game.

I kind of figured it would be more like wearing shorts with boxers... every breeze is an adventure.

The only thing that annoys me with the seat-belt is that they block when going down a steep hill. There must be some weight in the mechanic that triggers it when it moves to the front. If it happens I can't move any more, so I unbuckle. That works but it's not safer.

Happens all the time on my passenger door. The list of things that annoy the shit out of me with this piece is endless.

Reactions: JMT
Given the word count and edits, I suspect your post consumed more time and bandwidth than mine did, but who am I to comment about

200.gif

I'm told it can wreck havoc on your golf game.

I kind of figured it would be more like wearing shorts with boxers... every breeze is an adventure.
Its all dependent on the length, fabric, weight, cut, and style. And yea, you become expert at anticipating where there may be updrafts! The "Marilyn Monroe experience" should be avoided...

Reactions: MikekiM
The left and right seat belts are not the same. I had a similar problem with my driver’s side belt. The previous owner was a large man, and I think his belly put a permanent fold in the belt about half-way across it. It was annoying, so I bought a replacement off eBay.

sab

My seatbelt does the same. I haven't determined what it doesn't retract. I bet mine has a fold too. It is a pain. Ignore the buttwipe guys. They think they are on pirate4x4.

That's not quite the issue with mine... Same effect, different cause.

Like what @sab said, the belt material has gone soft and as the latch slides back along the belt when it retracts, the belt fabric creases over itself and jams in the slot the belt is threaded through and jams in place, then hits the return eye mounted on the roll bar and the whole thing hangs limp. Odds are good that I don't notice it and end up closing the belt in the door catch, which of course only serves to damage the belt rather than latch the door.

Plenty of vendors have replacement belts, but all are upwards of $200. For now it is going to stay an annoyance. Too many other Jeep projects are in the works so that $$ is allocated elsewhere for now.

Looking a little deeper it looks like front and rear are interchangeable. From the part description on Extreme Terrain:

Features
  • Retractable, Over Shoulder Restraint
  • Bolt-On Direct OEM Replacement
  • On and Off-Road Legal
  • Works on Front and Rear Seat
  • Limited 5-Year, Manufacturer Provided Warranty
  • For Left Hand, Driver Side Applications
  • For Use with 1997-2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ Models

Works front & rear? That can't be right...

Last edited:

Like what @sab said, the belt material has gone soft and as the latch slides back along the belt when it retracts, the belt fabric creases over itself and jams in the slot the belt is threaded through and jams in place, then hits the return eye mounted on the roll bar and the whole thing hangs limp. Odds are good that I don't notice it and end up closing the belt in the door catch, which of course only serves to damage the belt rather than latch the door.

Plenty of vendors have replacement belts, but all are upwards of $200. For now it is going to stay an annoyance. Too many other Jeep projects are in the works so that $$ is allocated elsewhere for now.

Looking a little deeper it looks like front and rear are interchangeable. From the part description on Extreme Terrain:

Features
  • On and Off-Road Legal

Sounds like left front and rear are the same and right front and rear are the same. So, left and right are not the same.

Features
  • On and Off-Road Legal

I wouldn't trust that Extreme Terrain product or its listing if it says fits front or rear because they are different. Straight from the source:

1638282778718.png

You can find the factory manuals right here on this forum, if you didn't already know:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ice-manuals-fsm-technical-documentation.4618/
According to that, the left and right rear are the same part number (5EV62LAZAC), but the left front (5EV71LAZAE) and right front (5EV70LAZAE) are different.

Try eBay or Davey's Jeeps for 5EV71LAZAE. I just looked at eBay, and there are several available for $50 and under.

I have the manual, the parts list, fluid capacities and the torque settings.. all really good resources I found here..

I doubted the front and rear could be swapped... just by the expected difference in length for the two.

9A388DFB-2586-4B90-BB5C-3CA8444A0660.jpeg

The only thing that annoys me with the seat-belt is that they block when going down a steep hill. There must be some weight in the mechanic that triggers it when it moves to the front. If it happens I can't move any more, so I unbuckle. That works but it's not safer.
I hate it when something that simple outsmarts me.