Driveshaft plunging spline sticking

B00mb00m

The Church of Cutting Brakes of Atlas-Front Digs
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I had some maintenance stuff to do and wanted to check the yoke nuts on my transfer case. When I disconnected the front driveshaft I was unable to compress the driveshaft. I used a piece of aluminum and a dead blow and was able to get the two half's disconnected (marked spline tooth for alignment) and it was dry ish but not corroded. I regreased with some good moly grease but it's still quite tight at the bottom of the shaft, which is the area typically exposed to the elements.

Nothing looks bent or damaged. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Last edited:
I had some maintenance stuff to do and wanted to check the yoke nuts on my transfer case. When I disconnected the front driveshaft I was unable to compress the driveshaft. I used a piece of aluminum and was able to get the two half's disconnected (marked spline tooth for alignment) and it was dry ish but not corroded. I regreased with some good moly grease but it's still quite tight at the bottom of the shaft, which is the area typically exposed to the elements.

Nothing looks bent or damaged. Is this anything to be concerned about?
Looks normal. There's probably a grease bubble at the bottom that's going to shoot all over the underside of your Jeep as soon as it compresses with force.

Reactions: B00mb00m
Ok I'll put it back on then.

I've hit it with grease a couple times and it's only 1 year old but i think the shaft was just pushing the grease out and not lubricating the splines. This moly amsoil grease is super sticky so it should stay around longer. I'll have to get the shafts modified when the atlas comes in anyway.