Driving a Jeep with a bum left knee Part II

Mud dauber

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi All,

Successful surgery results today. The doctor repaired my MCL and replaced my ACL with a donor tendon. They say the doctor did it all in 30 minutes. I’m asking for a discount when I see him again.

I came home with Fentanyl, Dilaudin and OxyContin onboard. When I woke up I was in a lot of pain so the nurse had to load me up with the extra drugs. I think my Anesthesiologist missed the target on me.I feel pretty sure I can pass any state trooper field sobriety test;) after two beers.

I was able to load myself into a SUV for the ride home. I bet I’ll be back in the Jeep in a couple weeks using a step to help myself get in.

Reactions: Daveh370 and Chris
I had similar surgery in 1992. The recovery time is shorter nowadays. Mine was 5-6 months. They took part of my patellar tendon. Hope your on the mend and back in the Jeep soon.

Funny story, when mine was torn I had just got a 1992 Mustang with a manual tranny. I couldn’t even drive myself to the hospital. I was just out of high school at the time. Only 1 guy present, out of about 20, could drive a manual. Fortunately there was 1!

Reactions: Mud dauber
Glad to hear the surgery went well. Amazing what they can do with knees these days. I can’t take morphine, fentynl, icy or any other heavy duty pain killer. My system won’t tolerate and my heart rate goes to 130 and stays there.

When I broke my leg at the knee joint last year, My entire recovery including two surgeries, a plate/rod/bar with 14 screws in my leg and knee etc was all done with plain OTC Tylenol. Heck I even had major issues with the anesthesia (rapid heart rate for 3 weeks). So enjoy the good stuff while you need it.

When I broke my leg at the knee joint last year, My entire recovery including two surgeries, a plate/rod/bar with 14 screws in my leg and knee etc was all done with plain OTC Tylenol. Heck I even had major issues with the anesthesia (rapid heart rate for 3 weeks). So enjoy the good stuff while you need it.
You are a man! I would be a crying baby.

What burns me is my doctor did my surgery in 34 minutes. I felt like I went by the drive through window.

Recovery from this is still 6 to 9 months if you follow directions.
Actually I going to delete my post after reading yours.

Last edited:
Get yourself a length of thick soft synthetic rope and make a loop dimensioned so you can put it under your game foot and pull up to get in and out of a vehicle. I used one 2.5 years ago for my knee replacement and stored it carefully with the other get better equipment. Really handy, it are.

Get yourself a length of thick soft synthetic rope and make a loop dimensioned so you can put it under your game foot and pull up to get in and out of a vehicle. I used one 2.5 years ago for my knee replacement and stored it carefully with the other get better equipment. Really handy, it are.
Ok did that and was able to load myself into my Jeep 3 1/2 days after surgery. So I am happy!

Reactions: derekmac