Driving changes tire changes

imactj2004

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Im getting ready to turn the rig over to my 16 yr old daughter who will use it as a daily driver, and its also time to get new tread. It is currently sitting on Falken Wildpeak M/T 305’s.

I want to drop size (to 285) AND switch to All Terrains. It’ll be lucky to go off road more than 1x/year and if it does it’ll be strictly trails.

So…options:

Wildpeak AT
Toyo AT
Cooper AT
BFG AT

Well I've been running Cooper AT3s on my Superduty and I really like them, smooth, quiet and plenty of traction for off road use. They are 5 years old now and still in great shape although mostly used on the highway but I do use them on the beach. If they were made in the size I want for my Jeep I'd run them on that too.

X2 on the Coopers for a mainly street rig. Ran a set on my Lexus GX470 and the tires performed well in the snow deer hunting and on road in wet conditions. Good tread life as well.

Reactions: imactj2004
Someone on here recommended the Cooper AT3s to replace the KO2s on my Son’s XJ. They are a really nice riding tire, we’ve enjoyed them so far much better than the BFGs.

I’d go with the one with the highest mileage warranty. Seems like the best street performance characteristic to look for . Her friends will be impressed that she has Jeep not what tires she has on it.

Wife and I have Cooper AT3’s on our 2500… we LOVE them for that rig. As others mention they are quiet and smooth and as long as you rotate them they seem to last a long time. We have about 40,000 miles on ours, pulling trailers and highway use and they still look pretty darn good . BUT this is all for a full size truck … little Jeep is going to be completely different … I believe cooper makes an all terrain for small SUV’s called the Cooper AT3 4S … but you really can’t go wrong with the BFG KO2’s especially on a light Jeep like that . A lot of friends of ours have been known to get 100’000+ miles on a set .

Another happy Cooper customer. Just put a set of AT3s on my Grand Cherokee about 6 months ago. Smooth and quiet and I believe a 60k mileage warranty.

I've had cooper AT3's on my Toyota tundra for the last 8 years. They have held up well and I never had an issue in any weather, especially snow and ice.
I'm due for new tires this year, mainly due to age rather than tread depth. I went with the Cooper rugged trek this time and we will see how they perform. They have a nice aggressive look and are supposedly a "hybrid" tire, Somewhere between an A/T and an M/T.

i have a family run tire shop in NY. We sell a ton of Cooper AT3 tires...excellent choice and they are pretty good about running promotions (rebates) a few times a year which helps push consumers in there direction. usually $70-100 rebate in spring, summer and fall.

Personally, i am a huge fan of BFG Radial All Terrain TA KO3....very pricy but great time. We have customers getting 50-60k miles on these with no issues.

Biggest thing you can do is keep vehicle in good alignment and rotate these tires every 5-7k. if you do that you will get the wear.

Another tire that is harder to come by but we sell a lot is Nokian Tyres. Finland based company and we sell a ton of there winter tires. They are getting more and more into summer and all-season tires. THey have a newer A/T tire called Nokian Outpost A/T. Really nice looking tire and sold several sets and pricing is very competitive to Goodyear, BFG, Cooper, etc. Nokian has opened a plant in TN as they were having tires produced in Russia. A bit tougher to find a dealer and not as readily available...but excellent quality tires

You will get thousands of opinions on tires, our family has been in tire business for 52 years and my comments above is based on personal experience and our customer base...for what its worth!

I've run Toyo A/T II on our XJ for years, and loved them. Then they came out with the A/T III, and they're even better. Lots of rain and standing water in my area, and I've never encountered a single issue with hydroplaning, which is one of the biggest concerns in my our area. The A/T III is quieter than the previous model. Tire wear has always been great.