Driving in Snow

K

KMG

Hello, We received some snow and I thought I'd take my new Tundra out for some fun like I had in my 04 TJR. Well I got stuck on the trail trying to get to the fun stuff. What a big difference between a 4x4 Tundra and the capabilities of my former Jeep! Still fun but I'll just have to remember to limit where I go. Lesson learned. Off to Houston again Sunday and hopefully I won't have to spend Thanksgiving there. Take care all, Kevin

I think the only real disadvantage to the TJ in the snow is the shorter wheel base.

However, with Goodyear Duratracs, I had no issues through the mountain passes for about 60 miles, which were heavily covered in snow. I was going about 50 mph the entire time, and those tires just held me in place perfectly!

Reactions: RussTJ
Hello, We received some snow and I thought I'd take my new Tundra out for some fun like I had in my 04 TJR. Well I got stuck on the trail trying to get to the fun stuff. What a big difference between a 4x4 Tundra and the capabilities of my former Jeep! Still fun but I'll just have to remember to limit where I go. Lesson learned. Off to Houston again Sunday and hopefully I won't have to spend Thanksgiving there. Take care all, Kevin
What hung you up? I'm always curious about what works and why. Or doesn't work.

The Duratracs are where it's at for winter roads. My Jeep came with used SilentArmors and could not have slid any more. After finding it's way into several ditches I splurged on the pricey Duratracs and have never looked back.

If I were to have a separate tire for snow offroad (which we also do a lot of, but I need to drive to the trail) I'd go for a MTR or SS.

Reactions: tworley and Chris
I am a guy who lives in both places, more than an inch of snow in the Panhandle is a safety concern for my wrangler.
A foot of snow in Chicago is a lot of fun for the same wrangler. same driver :(

I became high centered going through a ditch. Having a double cab with 6 1/2' bed makes for a long wheel base. I replaced the stock highway tread Michelins with BFG KO2s. I've had Duratracs before and prefer the KO2s.

Reactions: StG58
Oh yeah... it's definitely a lot easier to become high centered with the long wheelbase of a truck!

I became high centered going through a ditch. Having a double cab with 6 1/2' bed makes for a long wheel base. I replaced the stock highway tread Michelins with BFG KO2s. I've had Duratracs before and prefer the KO2s.
lol...Gotcha! I've a '99 Suburban that does that to me on occasion. The break over and departure angles on that thing suck. Calculated it out, and it would need a two foot lift to come close to my basically stock TJ. (and 44 inch tires!!!) The KO2's are my preference as well.

Yeah, I've been there. A 2 hour winch job since the other jeep would get stuck if it left the trail. I slid off the trail and tried to drive my way out.
Image-1.jpg

lol...Gotcha! I've a '99 Suburban that does that to me on occasion. The break over and departure angles on that thing suck. Calculated it out, and it would need a two foot lift to come close to my basically stock TJ. (and 44 inch tires!!!) The KO2's are my preference as well.
I thought the Duratracs were very good too but I have a gravel driveway and had a rock lodge into the tread until it caused a puncture twice in a 3 month period. I had the KO2s on the same driveway for a year with zero issues.
The depth and width of the ditch matched my wheelbase perfectly. When my rear tires reached the bottom of the ditch that placed the peak of the bank exactly between the axles. My mistake. I shouldn't have tried but I began at an angle to avoid what happened but wet conditions caused me to slide square to the ditch.
Driving late at night in deep snow is one of my favorite times. Nice picture!

Reactions: StG58
The only way to go in the snow! Used to push snow with my grill until it came up over the hood, once you got going......just dont stop!

s-l500.jpg