Driving to Alaska: Jeep prep advice

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
A friend of mine is driving to Alaska in his Jeep. What advice would you give him about his Jeep prior to his trip?:

Where: Anchorage area

When: Mid-january-ish

Why: Good job offer at a hospital in Anchorage

How: Driving his 2001 XJ from Pittsburgh, PA, to Seattle WA, and then on to Anchorage, AK.

He bought a HF hitch shelf carrier but it was foldable and bounced all over. Then he got a stationary one. And it's alot more solid. He has studded tires. And that's about all I know.

Reactions: Shatto
Damn, thats like 5,000 miles! Besides the obvious (extra fluids like coolant, oil, fuel, water)...make sure he does a thorough pre-flight check. Might consider getting AAA, and make sure he has some cold weather survival items like a hat, gloves, warm clothes, etc. Also this guy is going to have to cross some serious mountain passes in the heart of winter out here. I know of 2 specifically that will most likely be icy AF on his route. 4th of July Pass on the MT/ID border, and Snoqualmie Pass in WA...not counting what he will get into in BC and AK. Maybe a packable shovel, traction boards, winch, recovery gear, etc. Snow chains are required in some areas. Make sure he has some things to help pass the time like music, audio books, phone, etc. Some things to help stay awake like coffee, energy drinks, amphetamines, etc...lol. Thats a really long drive, hope he's ready for it!

Also, make sure he has his route planned out with where he will be stopping for the night, and have hotels booked in advance if possible. Aim to make it to certain destinations by the end of each day and don't just drive and stop wherever...that doesn't always work out so good, especially in the winter.

Reactions: JMT
Gobi Rack? A little more cargo is always a good thing on a trip like that.

https://www.gobiracks.com/product/gobi-jeep-tj-stealth-rack/

Google location sharing with family would be a good idea. I typically share my location with my wife and parents when I head out into the bush. Obviously does not work where there is no cell coverage, but the last known location can be found that way if you miss a scheduled check-in.

Since he is making the trip in the winter both he and the jeep need to prepped for the cold. Would be a good idea to change the antifreeze and if it does not have one a block heater is pretty important. One jerrycan of fuel is not a bad idea but making sure to top off when the opportunity presents itself works too.

Biggest thing is to give himself time and try to enjoy the trip. Even with the short days there is still plenty of great scenery to take in.

WINTERIZE IT !!!

Antifreeze for 60 below zero.
Carry gasline antifreeze.
Do not run it empty.
Keep the gas tank half full and fill it at the end of the day, not the next morning.

Carry at least 1 5gallon gas can, for yourself or some other unlucky sole.
Good spare tire, Good winter grips all around.

Dress warm, the last thing you want is having to find gloves, boots, layers of clothing AFTER you are in the ditch.

Voice of experience, I used to drive the ice roads in the NWT.

I wonder if some form pf personal protection is recommended
Check Canadian law first. Hand guns cannot go thru Canada, period, and there are plenty of rules for storage of long guns and ammo.

My knowledge is only based on what I've read, but I wonder if some form pf personal protection is recommended.
Personal protection is not necessary until you are in Los Anchorage. Handguns are an absolute no no in Canada and long guns require paperwork and extra fees at the border.

Reactions: astjp2
I have driven the highway 10+ times, 4 times in an 84 cj and 3 times in a 78 power wagon, I prefer to drive it in the winter.

First, have them buy an MILEPOST of ALASKA on amazon,it has the best maps and locations for everything. I used to buy one just to carry it in my vehicle when I lived up there.
When driving, do not pass up a gas station, the farthest you have to drive is 240 mile between fill ups. skip a station and you maybe walking. It gets damn cold up there, It was -55F at Laird River lodge when I spent the night one winter. The most dangerous part of the road is along the park at muncho lake. Narrow and usually frozen with lots of animals. There is a steep hill at swift river 8% grade, take it slow. Oh and drive into the Liard River hot springs, take a towel and a pair of shorts and jump in. It is a nice break in the middle of the drive. THere are 3 pools and you can get in 24 hours, even if it is closed you can still walk the block to the springs on the board walk.
Its 900 miles from the border to Dawson creek. Calgary and Edmonton are big cities with 4 lane highway, at Dawson creek it goes to 2 lanes until you get to Palmer Alaska. Get a room now at Dawson creek, the oil boom has made rooms hard to get one there. Stay at whitehorse! Lots of neat things to do there and lots of good bars and hotels in down town. I can say that you want to drive about 500 miles per day is about it, and most of it will be at night this time of year.
If they want to know anything else, PM me and I can talk to them on the phone. Tim

Oh and apartment hunting in Anchorage will be a shock to the wallet, stay out of Mountain view, its the Compton or watts of Alaska...

Last edited:
He just bailed on the Seattle to Alaska leg. He's gonna have his XJ shipped from Seattle. OR just buy a truck in Anchorage. I think it's a wise move. His XJ's got 190k on it. I doubt it would make the trip. My nephew just made the trip in his Toyota Pickup. And pretty much destroyed it. HAd to put a new engine in this last winter. And sold it. He works up there. I don't think he'll ever drive it again.

Nice thought experiment though. I'd love to make that drive. I think I'd at least want a low mile or rebuilt engine/trans vehicle. And a small trailer to haul everything you'd need. And a summer trip. lol.

His other concern was gun laws in CA. I guess that is a bitch too. He's definitely taking guns with him. For protection and some hunting.

Plan on 10K more on the truck in Alaska for the same thing in the lower 48 for something newer and low miles. It takes 9 months to get permission to take a pistol through Canada. No assault rifles and and no Pistol ammo, even if it is for a rifle. You can ship a firearm to yourself and not got through an FFL, but it has to be from you to you on FedEx or UPS only. You can take them on an airplane, that is how I got most of mine out of Alaska, but you will pay a big fees to the airlines.

Plan on a major lifestyle change and Anchorage has a very diverse population from all over the world and there is a very violent gang/criminal element that you will see on the news. It also has one of the highest substance abuse and mental illness populations per capita in the nation. At least he will be going up before Fur Rhondy, the big winter carnival that is in late winter and the start of the Ididarod is March. No fireworks in July, you cant see them so they celebrate in the winter with them. Also dont plan on seeing the stars much, its too cold in the winter and too light in the summer.

Hunting and fishing regulations are horrible, everything is based on river drainages, you have to know what way a drop of water will flow to know what area you are in. Fishing can have a wierd rule that you can fish from midnight until noon along a 3 mile stretch of river. F&G will sound an alarm and everyone will throw a line in, its called combat fishing...google it.

I have hundreds of stories about living in Alaska, it is a love it or hate it place, not much in between. I also never met a woman up there who did not have issues of some kind...it can be a lonely place, and there is now more women than men...

For a trip that long, get a good, comfy seat cushion and install cruise control if the Jeep doesn't have it.

Plan on 10K more on the truck in Alaska for the same thing in the lower 48 for something newer and low miles. It takes 9 months to get permission to take a pistol through Canada. No assault rifles and and no Pistol ammo, even if it is for a rifle. You can ship a firearm to yourself and not got through an FFL, but it has to be from you to you on FedEx or UPS only. You can take them on an airplane, that is how I got most of mine out of Alaska, but you will pay a big fees to the airlines.

Plan on a major lifestyle change and Anchorage has a very diverse population from all over the world and there is a very violent gang/criminal element that you will see on the news. It also has one of the highest substance abuse and mental illness populations per capita in the nation. At least he will be going up before Fur Rhondy, the big winter carnival that is in late winter and the start of the Ididarod is March. No fireworks in July, you cant see them so they celebrate in the winter with them. Also dont plan on seeing the stars much, its too cold in the winter and too light in the summer.

Hunting and fishing regulations are horrible, everything is based on river drainages, you have to know what way a drop of water will flow to know what area you are in. Fishing can have a wierd rule that you can fish from midnight until noon along a 3 mile stretch of river. F&G will sound an alarm and everyone will throw a line in, its called combat fishing...google it.

I have hundreds of stories about living in Alaska, it is a love it or hate it place, not much in between. I also never met a woman up there who did not have issues of some kind...it can be a lonely place, and there is now more women than men...

Well he's a nurse IIRC. So he will have lots of customers. lol. That's why he's going up. A job at the hospital.

He says his XJ is only worth $3000. SO I don't think it's in enough shape to make the trip anyway.

Any Bears? I remeber when those people got mauled many years ago...sad deal. I love those hot springs, I have only not stopped there once and I regretted it, I will never miss it again. The hardest thing about the highway is that it is a long drive, and I do mean long....Tim
I live in Dawson Creek. The drilling has slowed down some as we’re waiting for pipeline approval so there’s somewhere to send it. Definitely stop at Liard Hot Springs. We we up ther last summer.

They had the hanging garden at the top closed because of a bear sighting. We saw some on the highway along with caribou, sheep and you’re normal moose/deer along the way. When you live up here it’s a long way anywhere. 30 hrs to Moab. Drove it 4 times now.