Drop pitman arm question

bfabian76

Got some time in on the jeep today working on a few things. It has a OME. 2.5 inch lift. But it has a rough country drop pitman arm and a adjustable drag link (previous owner installed) which is hitting the tie rod when the suspension is flexed. It looks like we can probably just remove the drop pitman and install a stock one to solve it. But i wanted to check with you guys on what you think. Here are some photos.

Lastly unrelated can anyone identify this driveshaft? I’m assuming this is a SYE kit since my other one doesn’t look like that.

9AC41C6E-1417-43C3-B416-78816480B390.jpeg

18DE082E-EC8E-453B-8909-A34031F31A51.jpeg

FCDCD80E-7CE9-4758-B2F7-7843C3B47221.jpeg

40ABC11C-206C-4129-8D9F-2B1ECAAE6163.jpeg

41F93807-5EFE-44A3-BD94-35653744C1DD.jpeg

4B132B2F-522E-43CE-A708-E62511A17CF3.jpeg

C852FF68-DDAF-4599-A4E6-4E05985CE9AF.jpeg

Last edited:
Nope you can't just replace the dropped Pitman arm with the non-dropped version. That's because the driver's side track bar mount is also dropped per your 4th photo. They have to match... both must be non-dropped or both must be dropped. But the dropped version just doesn't work well, I pulled the same thing out of my previous TJ after finding out just how shitty that design is.

I'd remove both and go back to the stock Pitman arm and driver's side track bar mount.

Nope you can't just replace the dropped Pitman arm with the non-dropped version. That's because the driver's side track bar mount is also dropped per your 4th photo. They have to match... both must be non-dropped or both must be dropped. But the dropped version just doesn't work well, I pulled the same thing out of my previous TJ after finding out just how shitty that design is.

I'd remove both and go back to the stock Pitman arm and driver's side track bar mount.
Ok. So we need to order a stock pitman arm and a stock track bar mount. Swapping those two parts should make it good to go? It drives great and doesn’t have any steering issues that i notice. But you can clearly see where it’s hitting the tie rod. That’s why i started looking closer at all of it.

Ok. So we need to order a stock pitman arm and a stock track bar mount. Swapping those two parts should make it good to go? It drives great and doesn’t have any steering issues that i notice. But you can clearly see where it’s hitting the tie rod. That’s why i started looking closer at all of it.
You have the right idea. Don’t just change the pitman, the frame mount has to go as well.

Which frame mount? The one for the track bar on the driver side right? So just that track bar frame mount and the pitman arm
Correct, it is a redundant set up , used to compensate for 6” lifts or more and if you only remove the dropped pitman you are going to start having bump steer. If you can get it to clear, put a Moog Stock replacement bushing in the axle end and Mr. Blaine’s bolt kit and it is actually a good track bar strength wise.

Correct, it is a redundant set up , used to compensate for 6” lifts or more and if you only remove the dropped pitman you are going to start having bump steer. If you can get it to clear, put a Moog Stock replacement bushing in the axle end and Mr. Blaine’s bolt kit and it is actually a good track bar strength wise.

got it. We were thinking about upgrading the steering stuff anyway so I’ll probably look into that and do it all at once

got it. We were thinking about upgrading the steering stuff anyway so I’ll probably look into that and do it all at once
Cool, they can drive great if you pay attention to details- the ZJ upgrade in the how to section is a good move.

Reactions: DEValken
Is it common to drill out the stock track bar mount when installing the drop? I'd check to see if the taper is there before ordering a track bar unless drilling it out seems really unlikely. Never done one myself.

Is it common to drill out the stock track bar mount when installing the drop? I'd check to see if the taper is there before ordering a track bar unless drilling it out seems really unlikely. Never done one myself.
The RC does away with the frame mount entirely, and their dropped mount squeezes the frame on the sides and is bolted in- and will pop if not welded. The mount bolt is then horizontal as opposed to a vertical taper.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I’m having a hard time finding the factory track bar mount. I found a couple aftermarket ones that say stock length?
Might try Davey’s Jeeps for a stock take off.

I’m having a hard time finding the factory track bar mount.
Are you looking for a track bar? The mount is welded to the frame and isn't really for sale anywhere. Moog DS1235 is a common choice for a track bar. The part I've outlined here is the drop, it needs to be removed if you remove the dropped pitman arm.

track.jpg

After the part I outlined in orange is removed you need to check the hole that I indicated in red to be sure they didn't drill it to install the thing I outlined in orange. Sorry if this is all stating the obvious but it seems like we are talking cross points or something.

Are you looking for a track bar? The mount is welded to the frame and isn't really for sale anywhere. Moog DS1235 is a common choice for a track bar. The part I've outlined here is the drop, it needs to be removed if you remove the dropped pitman arm.

View attachment 275123

After the part I outlined in orange is removed you need to check the hole that I indicated in red to be sure they didn't drill it to install the thing I outlined in orange. Sorry if this is all stating the obvious but it seems like we are talking cross points or something.
So if i remove the track bar bracket that you circled i don’t need to replace anything there? Where does the track bar bolt to? Just straight to the frame?