Drum brake problems (chirping from rear brakes)

Grey_Machine7.3

Acts like a mechanic
Supporting Member
I finally got my ass together. And the jeeps ass for that matter.

Control arms set mostly, front driveshaft removed (the front doesn't match the rear gears yet), shocks/springs/ etc.etc.

So. I've got it started, open my gate, buckle up, throw it in gear and start to roll. I clutch a little because my driveway is on a hill. Rear brakes lock up, chirp chirp chirp, I roll back and forth a few times. It seems it's only trying to stop at one certain point. Brake pedal was soft, was low on fluid.
After fluid fill it was still doing it.

Think all I need to do is bleed the brakes?
I'm at a loss for what it could be at the moment. I'm done working on it for the night. But want to figure out what's going on before I drive into it tomorrow.
Any and all help is appreciated.
Criticisms accepted.
I'm so close. But now I feel so far again.

Last edited:
Wait, did you just get done doing the brakes as well? If so, I'd think this was an adjustment issue with the rear drums.

i did the brakes. eeehhhh back in august. and they were fine, aside for the parking brake didnt work so well. but i'm ordering a new whatever you call it, the adjustment things, and cables for that.
i'm guessing i just need to pull the rotors again and be doubly sure the shoes are seated correctly.

So the master got how low? Dosen't take much air to screw the pooch. If you think its possible you have air in the system then definitely bleed them.

So the master got how low? Dosen't take much air to screw the pooch. If you think its possible you have air in the system then definitely bleed them.
There was still fluid in the reservoir, but I'd GUESS I added at least 6-7oz. Not quite a full cup, of it was close.

@Goatman
So you think if there was air in the lines, it would cause the rear cylinder to expand at a certain point of rotor spin?
It's raining all day so no wrenching today. i really need to build a shop.... lol

I'd I understand what is going on my guess is you accidentally ran the adjuster cable wrong. Go into the 'how to' section. There are some excellent guides there. They even have good pics of the hardware installed correctly. I think I read that it is slightly different on either side of the rear axle. If you can't find it then start a new post like 'is my rear brakes assembled right?' And you will get a lot of experienced folks. I have disks on the rear so my setup is different.

I'd I understand what is going on my guess is you accidentally ran the adjuster cable wrong. Go into the 'how to' section. There are some excellent guides there. They even have good pics of the hardware installed correctly. I think I read that it is slightly different on either side of the rear axle. If you can't find it then start a new post like 'is my rear brakes assembled right?' And you will get a lot of experienced folks. I have disks on the rear so my setup is different.
thing is i havnt messed with the brakes. at all. aside from putting a new boot on the rear driver side cylinder.
before the gear install the brakes were working fine, aside from the parking brake. but it wasnt stuck from tightness i dont think. coasted pretty good.

also have two brand new brake cylinders that i was going to wait to put on. since i ended up rounding the bleed screw off. yay... i'll end up putting them on sooner than expected.