Drum brake woes

UglyDuck

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Concluding my brake system overhaul, finally got to the drum brakes.
Took pictures, looked at previous threads, saved the “example photo” that went around on here as well.

Mostly went as planned with a few hiccups. Easily remedied from the previously mentioned resources.

Two things outstanding;
What is this clip and spring washer for? Didn’t come off the previously removed installation.

Also, seems one of my cable adjusters might be too long? It went on real easy whereas the other one was a chore.
The one that was a chore seems to put the auto adjuster right up against the star ratchet wheel, the long one just rests below it.
I’m thinking maybe that will all adjust itself once final assembled and adjusted…?
Pics below.
Thanks.
Can’t wait to try my BMBs @mrblaine

3F0E491D-2A7F-463C-8C62-2F55F92817E0.jpeg

41E16FEE-7425-47BA-A87E-3AF36A375E2D.jpeg

E5E350BD-707C-49C6-9A90-F8C8210A0347.jpeg

DC003B7B-3E09-410F-92A5-AFEF65D427C3.jpeg

72B6F11A-F652-4DFF-A17F-87C41375EC04.jpeg

I'll try..the wavy washer at the top of your photo seems like the one that goes on the self adjuster

Two things outstanding;
What is this clip and spring washer for? Didn’t come off the previously removed installation.

I’m thinking maybe that will all adjust itself once final assembled and adjusted…?

View attachment 311997

View attachment 311998

View attachment 311999

View attachment 312000

View attachment 312001
Horseshoe washer is usually for the parking brake lever to the secondary shoe. Spring washer for the adjuster wheel? I don’t know what‘s going on with that cable on the adjuster lever.
I’ve done so many drums I just go by muscle memory, but regular memory sometimes doesn’t work so well anymore.

If you don’t get it right, it won’t work I itself out.

Last edited:
Reactions: hear
The washer for the adjuster is flat. The wavy washer and the horseshoe clip are both for the parking brake lever. Washer goes between lever and shoe, clip holds them together.

Also, seems one of my cable adjusters might be too long? It went on real easy whereas the other one was a chore.
The one that was a chore seems to put the auto adjuster right up against the star ratchet wheel, the long one just rests below it.
I'm not sure what it is called but if the self adjusting cable guide is not seated in it's hole properly it will make the cable to long. I hope that makes sense.

There is definitely a washer installed in my adjuster, but it was flat, not a spring washer like the one I pictured. Did the one installed start off life as a spring (wavy) washer, I don’t know?
Those are for the parking brake arm to brake shoe attachment, your shoes looks like the arm goes in the rectangle slot and won’t use the clip and washer. The hardware kit may fit multiple applications. ( easier to include the washer and clip than have 2 kits)

Reactions: UglyDuck
Yep, getting that cable and guide setup properly is the most common issue.

I also had no clue what the washer and clip were for. I ended up using the clip on the self adjuster, and forgetting about the washer. Two years later and everything still works fine.

Yep, getting that cable and guide setup properly is the most common issue.

I also had no clue what the washer and clip were for. I ended up using the clip on the self adjuster, and forgetting about the washer. Two years later and everything still works fine.
The horseshoe clip and spring washer are for the brake lever, but the style varies. Some, like mine, don’t require it. Others do. I’m not sure what years apply to which design. I have a 2002.

The horseshoe clip and spring washer are for the brake lever, but the style varies. Some, like mine, don’t require it. Others do. I’m not sure what years apply to which design. I have a 2002.

Ah, makes sense. I have a 2003. I had mine completely disassembled, replaced the wheel cylinders too. And I couldn't find anywhere that the washer seemed to fit. Would be nice if the parts kit had instructions that mentioned that little detail though.

I'm not sure what it is called but if the self adjusting cable guide is not seated in it's hole properly it will make the cable to long. I hope that makes sense.

That's the problem I had and the cable was not providing enough tension to seat the adjuster to the star wheel. The cable guide was only a 1/16" or so from not being fully up against the frame of the brake shoe. I removed the spring and made sure the adjusting cable guide was flat against the brake shoe frame, then reinstalled the spring and the remainder of the cable on the bottom of the shoe. The adjuster seated properly against the star wheel, and 'clicked' correctly when turned. Thanks for posting, it was very helpful.

Reactions: Zorba