Dumb Question Time - What is this part?

Barely Krawlified

Supporting Member
Okay, I’m pretty new to vehicle maintenance and I swear I’ve looked but need a lifeline on this one.

What is the part that sits directly in front of the radiator and is bolted to the top of the grille? There is a strip of deteriorating foam padding between it and the radiator support on my TJ. My Jeep has factory A/C.

This one appears to be the original factory installed part (note the Chrysler logo) which is now 20 years old. The Jeep is running well as is its heating and A/C system but this part looks like its seen better days.

Should it be replaced as part of a cooling system overhaul? Is it something that should be replaced by a professional instead of a novice (but motivated to learn) DIYer like me? Should I leave well enough alone and not bother with it?

4AC2390F-BF66-4282-BE45-89AE4E85336C.jpeg

2D6DB28F-1AD6-4A98-92CF-BAFBEA11A817.jpeg

Reactions: sideproject
That’s your AC condenser. I wouldn’t mess with it unless you were having AC problems.

If you’re doing a cooling system, overhaul, you could replace that foam strip while the radiator is out, but it’s probably fine the way it is.

That’s your AC condenser. I wouldn’t mess with it unless you were having AC problems.

If you’re doing a cooling system, overhaul, you could replace that foam strip while the radiator is out, but it’s probably fine the way it is.

Outstanding. At the moment I am not having A/C issues and am perfectly content to leave well enough alone. Also, when the time comes, I’m taking any A/C issue to a shop.

Okay, I’m pretty new to vehicle maintenance and I swear I’ve looked but need a lifeline on this one.

What is the part that sits directly in front of the radiator and is bolted to the top of the grille? There is a strip of deteriorating foam padding between it and the radiator support on my TJ. My Jeep has factory A/C.

This one appears to be the original factory installed part (note the Chrysler logo) which is now 20 years old. The Jeep is running well as is its heating and A/C system but this part looks like its seen better days.

Should it be replaced as part of a cooling system overhaul? Is it something that should be replaced by a professional instead of a novice (but motivated to learn) DIYer like me? Should I leave well enough alone and not bother with it?

View attachment 399918

View attachment 399919

Yeah, AC Condenser.

My coach used to tell me in Football “Malmquist, there are No stupid questions, only stupid people, so ask away.” Ha! He didn’t like questions …

Ask away, that’s how I learned here, and the answer has made me shake my head at myself and laugh….often.

AC is a bit like renovating an old house - you *think* you are just going to strip off some wallpaper and replace a light fitting. $200K later you have demolished the ground floor and are making a start on the garage! My advice mirrors @Jamison C but with one caveat: if you do start having AC issues, go to somewhere like Rock Auto and order a heap of new parts. Put a new condenser, receiver drier, orifice tube, new valve seals and a new A/C core in the dash. Probably cost you about $200 in parts for all that assuming your compressor is still OK. Basically, if you are going to have an AC place open the system up then do everything all at once. Will be far cheaper in the long run than mucking around fixing only the bit that's busted.

But as Jamison says - don't touch it unless you have to! Like that old wallpaper, sometimes its all that is holding the foundations together... :)