Durango power steering box swap issue

That Link is def too long for the dropped arm and the Castle nut on the passenger side doesn't look correct... the pin is nearly out of the turret. Putting the stock pit man on will help some but it still looks wonky.

That Link is def too long for the dropped arm and the Castle nut on the passenger side doesn't look correct... the pin is nearly out of the turret. Putting the stock pit man on will help some but it still looks wonky.
Yea the castle nut it came with , cant get a socket on it to tighten it idk if you need a special tool to tighten it

Yea the castle nut it came with , cant get a socket on it to tighten it idk if you need a special tool to tighten it

I was thinking it was too low relative to the cotter pin. It should be torqued to ~ 75 lbs (or somewhere around that) I think. But that's not the problem I don't think. I think you have the incorrect tie rod / drag link assembly installed.

You need to find dead center travel on the box. Turn wheels until they point straight ahead. Remove drag link from pitman arm. Now go rotate steering wheel back to straight. Take shortest path possible when turning and don’t spin all the way around or you could damage clock spring .(You will have to turn key on to do this. Leave on for later.)Now turn box shaft all the way to left and mark spot. Then turn all the way to right and mark spot. Measure and find center between 2 marks and rotate shaft back to that center. Re-align center of pitman arm on center mark and bolt it back down. Reattach drag link and fine tune steering wheel position with adjuster sleeve. Hope that makes sense. I did the Durango box and that’s what I had to do.

Ok so I re-read the opening few posts. You have 3 turns lock to lock and so does @Boinked (yours is 1/2 turn from center). This would indicate you do not have the box centered and @grr is correct you need to find the center point.

I still believe the Dropped arm makes the Drag Link too long and you will need to go back to the stock arm and screw that joint in as far as it will go.

Reactions: Jeepaholic
So I just replaced my power steering box with a 99 Durango one, and I'm having turning issues , I can only get one full turn to the left and 2 full to the right, I tried changing the position of the pitman arm and same result , please help ...

97 TJ
3.5 in Rubicon Express lift, with Rubicon heavy duty steering arms , drop pitman arm, sitting on 33s

View attachment 65135

I too am in Tucson (Sahuarita) From your wheel well space, are you sure you don't have the Rubicon Express 4.5" lift? Here is mine with the 4.5 RE lift. I have the 305 70-16 tires.

front.jpg
rear.jpg
TJ.jpg

I found the issue guys , I wanted to thank all of you for the quick responses , so after doing everything multiple times, stock pitman arm back on , after alot of measuring and brainstorming, my track bar was bent , and it pushed the body to the right about 2 inches, I redrilled the bottom hole on the axle and it brought the jeep back straight , got the half a turn back .

So, I am confused, why would you drill another hole to compensate for a bent track bar? Would it not be better to replace the track bar? Won't it bend more/again?