E-coded H4 with VW city light DRL

JustDandee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Quick shout out to @C.J. Roberts for posting a link to Busdepot …that sent me down this VW e-code path.

I have been on the hunt for sometime in upgrading my cheap-o LED headlights that PO installed. I grew to like the DRL that they have but really wanted to have something with a better light pattern…and less purple hue to the light. I have ran Hella headlights before and do like the E code headlight pattern. especially when you consider the H4 bulb options. While window shopping bus depot, I see the e-code with the city light for those classic VW replacements…..which got me to thinking what if I put an LED bulb in that city light location and use that as the DRL.

https://www.busdepot.com/hq6014

IMG_3941.jpeg

So this is what they look like with “city light” using a led as a DRL- below is old LED on the passenger new e-code on the driver.

IMG_3907.jpeg

One thing about these e-codes is that the glass is curved vs flat if that aesthetic feature appeals to you And come fully loaded with the all the bulbs for $60/pair. Fair price in my book. I just swapped in the led which you can also get in other colors if that is your jam. I was tempted to try amber but I have seen green & red too…it’s basically a #53 bulb socket.

72135807126__65658AED-73A3-4948-9DE1-BF926B54D227.jpeg

72135817945__F8F98604-E8DF-436B-A628-EC30CBB9AB24.jpeg

IMG_3910.jpeg

Typically you would have drilled a access hole for the city light but the TJ has the room already to clear it.

IMG_3912.jpeg

IMG_3911.jpeg
Light pattern is as expected from a e-code
IMG_3936.jpeg

I will be tempted to throw in something something brighter down the road but for now 55/65 watt

IMG_3943.jpeg

That looks nice. Though about getting them at one time.

Does the city light stay on when your headlights are on?

What did you wire the city light too?

That looks nice. Though about getting them at one time.

Does the city light stay on when your headlights are on?

What did you wire the city light too?

Thanks! I pulled power from the under hood relay block. one of the unused socket supplied me a key on power source. So the city light remains on when headlights are on or off.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
The reason I was wondered if they stay on with the headlights is because I would probably put amber city lights but not sure how that would affect the main headlights. Maybe none, it might get drowned out.

I changed my trucks DRL’s from white to amber years ago. I felt it was more noticeable than the white. That was a separate turn signal housing though.

I think most modern vehicles LED DRL’s are brighter than most older headlights. 🤣

you probably know with a little wiring/relay you could kill the DRL when the headlights come on. but I think Amber will be mosty lost when the main bulb is on.

IMG_3908.jpeg

Reactions: MountaineerTom
you probably know with a little wiring/relay you could kill the DRL when the headlights come on. but I think Amber will be mosty lost when the main bulb is on.

View attachment 478970

I’m not that smart electrically. I need to be told like I’m 5 years old. 🤣 I can to the physical work of it, just feeling confident that I’m doing it safely/correctly is my issue.

It probably would wash it out.