Early 97 speed sensor part number

macleanflood

I break sh!t
Supporting Member
My VSS likes to show me going 140 mph plus in the morning until it wakes up.

Gear is stripped too...but from researching the markings...26-31 and 32-38 I think I had it clocked incorrectly.

I have a replacement sprocket... probably going to put that on and try it...

The SC105 clearly is not the right part. Mine is closer to 2 inches and the SC105 is about an inch.

Anyone know the part? Assuming it's a YJ.

-Mac

IMG20230728093223.jpg

IMG20230728092530.jpg

The plastic gear teeth stripped because the speedometer gear housing wasn't rotated far enough to allow them to fully mesh with the pinion gear.

This is out of the 1997 Mopar parts guide...

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
The plastic gear teeth stripped because the speedometer gear housing wasn't rotated far enough to allow them to fully mesh with the pinion gear.

Yup... figured that out my usual way...the hard way...I put it back as is for now and rotated it 90 degrees.

I've got another speedo gear around here somewhere...gonna make sure rotating it "fixes" the issue...might need another 90...if it does fix it I'll find my gear, flush the plastic chunks out and consider it solved.

Still curious what VSS part it is... would like to know.

-Mac

Wondering if it's not a SC123...this is the parts listing from a 2000 TJ... maybe I needed to go forward and not backwards...

-Mac

Screenshot_2023-07-28-14-44-18-58_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

Just buy the newer version and splice on the included pigtail in place of
The factory connector. The 92-97 model is problematic and known for ATF leaking up into the electrical pins. That’s why 98 changed the design.

By the way, the speed sensor is the small part you bought. There is a speed sensor adapter housing that your factory sensor is in which is why it looks different and larger. You’ll undo the one bolt on there and install your new sensor into the old housing and then reinstall the bolt.

The only difference between pre 98 and post 98 is the electrical connection.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
It also kinda looks like you have a crack in your adapter housing down by the gear. Your rotation of the assembly may have jammed the gear too hard up into the sensor. Or maybe it’s just the plastic housing appearance but it does look like it’s cracked going around the outside, about 1/2” upstream of the gear.

By the way, the speed sensor is the small part you bought. There is a speed sensor adapter housing that your factory sensor is in which is why it looks different and larger. You’ll undo the one bolt on there and install your new sensor into the old housing and then reinstall the bolt.

The only difference between pre 98 and post 98 is the electrical connection.

Doh! That would make sense!

-Mac