Easily removable heater core mod?

CybrSlydr

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
I like the Car Wizard and just saw this video today.

Anyone else done something like this?

But you still have to take the whole dash out. I don't see it as any easier maybe its just me.
No you don't - the customer is having him cut a hole in the firewall where the heatercore goes as well as a metal shroud on the evap box so the heater core is removable from the engine bay.

You didn't even watch the video before posting. lol

EDIT: I see what you're saying - to do the mod, you still have to pull the dash.

The point of it is so if the heater core fails in the future, it's a significantly easier repair. The only reason he's doing the mod is the heater core is bad and needs replaced anyway.

Last edited:
Heater core is super easy to swap out, I just did mine?
Dropped it off on a Monday and it was ready by Wednesday?
Really, some things just aren't worth the trouble to me. lol

This would make things a heck of a lot easier. Just cover it with aluminum sheet metal and self-tapping screws.

Right, but how often does one really do heater core repairs?

It could become common given our options. Doing this one, it’s a major PITA. Most difficult thing I’ve ever had to “get too.” With all the breakage along the way, plenty of plastic parts that can go bye bye very easily. YMMV.

My question on this mod is how do you build the inner panel on the HEVAC box that will seal (does it need to seal?) and that can still be removed through the firewall access panel? Anyone got any ideas? The guy didn’t explain that.