Eastern Virginia TJ

jrmart309

Supporting Member
Hi all. After lurking quite regularly on this forum for a long time, I finally decided that I should start a build page. I bought this jeep in July of 2020, thinking that I would just do some regular maintenance and have a decent hunt club jeep, but for some reason I keep finding things I need to buy for it like we're dating or something. Here it is, right after I bought it for $7400:
20200731_161927.jpg

It is a 1999 Sport 4.0L. It came with an unknown 4" lift that I'm assuming is skyjacker bc of the worn out rusty skyjacker shocks. It also had a transfer case drop, adjustable trac bars, and pretty decent 33x12.5 all-terrain tires. BTW, this picture is the cleanest it is going to be, maybe ever again. Also keep note that when I discuss issues that come up with the jeep, it may seem like I am complaining and i am a little, but ultimately I love doing all of these repairs and upgrades. So take my complaints with a grain of salt.

So the adventure began on the drive home from purchase in the rain, when I got an unexpected lane change due to a locked up brake caliper. So project #1 was replace all front brake components. I did just use cheap-o AdvanceAuto parts, mainly because anything I do to this, I try to keep relatively budget friendly.

Next I wanted to improve the ride quality so I got on this forum, and discovered Rancho shocks. Budget and quality, perfect. I really didn't think they were going to improve the ride as much as they did but it was night and day. Probably exacerbated by the fact that the old skyjacker shocks didn't move at all after removing.

Que the next issue! So a few weeks later a huge crack forms right at the top of the radiator where the fill port connects to the radiator. While replacing the radiator I noticed a lot of gunk in the coolant, so I go ahead and flush and replace all the cooling system parts except the heater core (hoses, radiator, water pump, thermostat and housing).

Shortly after this, my Throttle Position Sensor went bad luckily while still in the neighborhood. After a quick code read with a HF code reader and a new sensor, we are good to go for a while. Didn't have any other major issues for probably the next year. Took it to the beach and hunting, and loved every minute of it. Here are me and the kids using it as a jungle gym waiting on their mom to get out of the tanning salon...
20200904_195308.jpg

That's probably enough for an initial post, stay tuned for more...

So at some point, I decided to get rid of the rust on the hood and try my hand at painting in my dirty garage. It looked pretty good at first, but I have some severe lessons learned for beginners. 1: don't be lazy, actually go look at the paint code or you will buy the wrong green 2: before you go ham with the buffer, talk to someone who knows what's up (post buffer pics not shown, apparently at the time I was to upset to document) 3: if you use a buffer while hood is on the car, watch out for the antenna or it will go flying.

20200829_154555.jpg
20200901_210437.jpg

Prior to last year's hunt season, I ripped the dash apart to replace the heater core and clean/patch up a few odds and ends. I also installed the HF 12k winch.

20210912_174336.jpg
20210912_174343.jpg
20210928_210900.jpg

Into 2022:
To get the jeep back from the hunt club in January, I installed a smittybilt front bumper (that i like much better than the tube bumper), and the smittybilt towbar.
20220130_133609.jpg
20220130_122002.jpg

Shortly after getting it home I began restoring the interior. I repainted most of the interior dash panels and the middle console. I cleaned up the rhino lined bed and floor, and applied protectant. I installed new roll bar covers. I installed new visors (didn't have them when i bought it). I also re-loomed the electrical cables and ran trailering brake light cables from the front bumper back to the tail lights.
20220205_103713.jpg
20220221_174439.jpg

While having all this stuff out, I realized that my seats had a weird bracket under them made of steel plate and tubing. Thanks to you guys, I found out that my 99 TJ had a full set of 2003 plus seats. They were ok seats but the brackets made me sit about 3 " higher than normal. So I found a set of 99 seats on facebook for $200 then sold my seats for $300. Then I installed a heated seat element bought off Amazon for $40 in the driver's seat.

20220227_130435.jpg
20220227_133610.jpg
20220227_165649.jpg

So at some point, I decided to get rid of the rust on the hood and try my hand at painting in my dirty garage. It looked pretty good at first, but I have some severe lessons learned for beginners. 1: don't be lazy, actually go look at the paint code or you will buy the wrong green 2: before you go ham with the buffer, talk to someone who knows what's up (post buffer pics not shown, apparently at the time I was to upset to document) 3: if you use a buffer while hood is on the car, watch out for the antenna or it will go flying.

View attachment 318883View attachment 318884

This isn't your first time painting body parts I take it? Honestly I'm very impressed with the transformation. Keep us updated!

This isn't your first time painting body parts I take it? Honestly I'm very impressed with the transformation. Keep us updated!
Thanks for the compliment but it was my first time using more than a rattle can. I watched a lot of videos but honestly still don't understand what is left to do after the clear coat is put on. I will, I'm still not up to date yet on stuff i've already done.

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
Thanks for the compliment but it was my first time using more than a rattle can. I watched a lot of videos but honestly still don't understand what is left to do after the clear coat is put on. I will, I'm still not up to date yet on stuff i've already done.
It looks good all that matters is you are expanding your skills/knowledge and getting experience. It gives me hope that I could someday "try my hand" in painting the body as well. My hood on my orange jeep has a "racing" style stripe decal. I've wanted to get it repainted.

Reactions: jrmart309
After seeing time and again on here that drop pitman arms cause bump steer, I realized that I have a little bump steer, maybe I should check to see if I have a drop pitman arm. Lo and behold, I did. I switched it out for OEM(bumpsteer cured) and also realized that I have what I think is the ZJ steering conversion.

20220307_125245.jpg

With that straightened out, I moved into installing a SYE and DC driveshaft. First I had to put in a nutsert where one of the transfer case bolts was missing. Then it was smooth sailing. Used the Advaned Adapters SYE kit and Ten Factory driveshaft. And Rubicon Express rear upper control arms to adjust pinion angle.
20220228_173750.jpg

20220326_160931.jpg

Also gave the front driveshaft a little TLC to orevent any further corrosion until I can replace it.
20220327_135108.jpg

20220323_192417.jpg

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
I've started my war on rust! I've been removing some underbody parts then cleaning and painting them. Changing out a lot of bushings and old bolts in the process. Found out that my rear track bar bolts were almost worn all the way through and the bushings were pretty shot too. I removed front and rear sway bars and bumpers. Then I removed fender flares and wheel well guards. Then i removed wheel and shock. Then I went to town with some wire brushes and a needle gun. I went crazy with rustoleum and rust converter (where necessary). Here are before and after, I only have the front drivers side painted right now. Doing the job in quarters bc of time constraints.
20220406_194253.jpg
20220410_163437.jpg