Easy install stereo head unit options?

Philip

Does anyone have a stereo head unit that they particularly like? My factory unit was shot so I replaced it with a “reconditioned“ JVC unit from Crutchfield. Hate it. Tiny buttons with tiny script and blue back lighting on a black chassis. I have sixty year old eyeballs.

i use an iPhone and would like an easy install.

Thanks,

Philip

I installed a Sony XAV-AX1000 last year, I ordered it from Crutchfield as well. It is on the lower-end of the double-din touch screens, so I did have to spend a little extra on a new center surround as well. I like that it has Apple CarPlay so all the iphone apps I'm accustomed to using show right up on the screen... Being that it is on the lower end it's kind of hard to see if I'm running with no top and the sun is right on it, but other than that it was right for the price.

It took me about an hour and a half to install, I spurged and paid Crutchfield a little extra money for the custom-built wiring harness so there was zero cutting and splicing.

Edit: I also got it because it has an actual volume knob. I despise a rocker switch for the purpose of controlling volume.

I know it looks like everything you said you didn't like, blue on black and small buttons and such, but when I first got my jeep it had a Sony aftermarket head unit in it that half ass worked sometimes and I was looking trying to decide on something. Strolling thru wally world 1 day and seen this one and it was blue tooth and I also use iPhone and have old eyeballs. But I figured for $20 I'd throw it in till I found something I wanted and if someone stole it when top and all is off oh well, it's $20. Mine already had harness on it from sony so I just used that to wire this up. Couple wires and connectors and about an hour taking out and putting in figuring out wiring.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dual-Ele...o_07I9rEiy3BLUTOUfH4Qv6HwTyvFuHsaAjuhEALw_wcB
Anyways 7 months later and it's still in there working great. BT hooks up to phone as soon as I get in no problem, don't have any problems hearing it when top is off going down highway either. Did I get lucky? Don't know but I'm not knocking it. I'd say it has to be the best $20 I've spent on it yet. I figure when your parked somewhere with top/doors off whats the first thing crooks always look at? Why make it harder on them to pass you up with a nice touch screen in a already unlocked evidently vehicle ?

Plus they got some others with easier to read lighting and such without spending a bunch too. Besides I rarely even touch radio as I just use the blue tooth on the phone and good ole Siri.

I picked up the Sony MEX-XB120BT a couple months back. Liked that it was a head unit that would push 100Wx4. Good way to perk up the speakers in the TJ without adding an external amp. Like others I ordered it and the install kit from crutchfield. Pretty easy install with the kit, no chopping up the factory harness.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XB120BT/Sony-MEX-XB120BT.html
Waited till they put it on sale, so picked it up a bit cheaper.

Also replaced all speakers with 5.25" Polk DBs as many here have done. Got the pods for the fronts to convert to 5.25".

Reactions: Airjunky
I have an Android based Double Din headunit.
I now have not only a Radio/Mp3 player but also
GPS Street Navigation
GPS Topo Map Navigation
Torque Pro OBD2 Display
DVD Player
Spotify
Hands free Phone
Send & recieve txt & emails
Built in reversing camera
All this on a 7" color screen that features a Jeep logo on the Home screen.

I picked up the Sony MEX-XB120BT a couple months back. Liked that it was a head unit that would push 100Wx4. Good way to perk up the speakers in the TJ without adding an external amp. Like others I ordered it and the install kit from crutchfield. Pretty easy install with the kit, no chopping up the factory harness.

Also replaced all speakers with 5.25" Polk DBs as many here have done. Got the pods for the fronts to convert to 5.25".
I bought my TJ with a similar Sony head unit in it. I've since replaced the dash & roll bar speakers with Kickers. And added a pair of Rockville tweeters on the dash, a 200 watt Kicker amp & 6.75" subwoofer. The thing ROCKS! Top up or down. And I don't think I have more than about $400 in it.

BTW, I have a similar Sony head unit in my boat too. It has 2 Kicker amps (over 1100 watts), a 10" sub, 6 interior speakers & a pair of Exile tower speakers. That system has been doing great for over 10 yrs now!

I installed a Sony XAV-AX1000 last year, I ordered it from Crutchfield as well. It is on the lower-end of the double-din touch screens, so I did have to spend a little extra on a new center surround as well. I like that it has Apple CarPlay so all the iphone apps I'm accustomed to using show right up on the screen... Being that it is on the lower end it's kind of hard to see if I'm running with no top and the sun is right on it, but other than that it was right for the price.

It took me about an hour and a half to install, I spurged and paid Crutchfield a little extra money for the custom-built wiring harness so there was zero cutting and splicing.

Edit: I also got it because it has an actual volume knob. I despise a rocker switch for the purpose of controlling volume.
I have had the XAV-AX-1000 and the XAV-AX-100. Yes they have or at least had both of those different models. The one I kept has a rear USB input that I connected to a port I installed in the hole left after removing the cigar lighter.

I really like the volume knob and that I can upload my own screen art.

I did not pay Crutchfield to make a harness but after two trips to Home Depot I was wishing I had. The first butt connectors I bought would not hold.

IMG_4817.jpeg

I have an Android based Double Din headunit.
I now have not only a Radio/Mp3 player but also
GPS Street Navigation
GPS Topo Map Navigation
Torque Pro OBD2 Display
DVD Player
Spotify
Hands free Phone
Send & recieve txt & emails
Built in reversing camera
All this on a 7" color screen that features a Jeep logo on the Home screen.
Do you have the link to this?

Yeah my next upgrade is a sub. Just ordered the sound ordinance 8. So many good reviews on it. Now to figure out where to install it....don't have a factory sub console, so may have to modify my current one for it to fit.

Back to the OP's topic....

Just need to decide whether you want a single or double din unit. For me, I went reverse. I sold my 2011 F-150 to buy my LJ and wanted to simplify everything. So I came from a double din touch screen device back to single din and don't have any issues. But I did have to modify my everyday operation:

I have an iOttie phone mount and use my phone for GPS:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRGOKQ8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I have a bluetooth earpiece for calls. The Sony unit came with a wired mic that works fine. With the Jeep's indoor noise, especially at highway speeds, the bluetooth earpiece is easier to hear and be heard with:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011GVFJFW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I just check Crutchfield and it showed that the mex-xb120bt not fitting my 2006 TJ. Did you have to modify much?

Reactions: Queticon
I just check Crutchfield and it showed that the mex-xb120bt not fitting my 2006 TJ. Did you have to modify much?
You will of course need the panel that comes with the unit to cover the area that the radio does not fit. But it fits my TJ like it was meant to be there. Install was pretty easy.

I just checked crutchfield out of curiosity and it shows it DOES fit the 2006 TJ. Just make sure you add the install kit to your order (which is free when you purchase the radio). It comes with the faceplate surround, wiring harness and antenna extender.

You will of course need the panel that comes with the unit to cover the area that the radio does not fit. But it fits my TJ like it was meant to be there. Install was pretty easy.

I just checked crutchfield out of curiosity and it shows it DOES fit the 2006 TJ. Just make sure you add the install kit to your order (which is free when you purchase the radio). It comes with the faceplate surround, wiring harness and antenna extender.

Thanks, ordering today.

I think you will be happy with it. Just a tip on the install. You will actually use your old antenna wiring. The kit comes with an extension that will plug into the old antenna wiring. Don't ask me why I am telling you this (took me a minute to finally figure out you needed both old and new to make it work, lol). You will probably have some excess wiring in to push back behind the unit since you will retain the factory plug. Just make sure to zip tie things up or make sure they will allow everything to clear etc.