Electric Radiator Fan Conversion Issues

Brucepieters

I have a 2004 4 cylinder wrangler with 123,000 miles.

So I’m new to Jeep’s and learning constantly. This sounds really bad but I bought this TJ and didn’t realize it had a electric conversion to the radiator fan. I’ve been dealing with “engine running too cold” and code “p1489 high speed fan relay”.

Ive notice that my fan seems like it is always on. I’ve had no issues since I’ve bought the Jeep 6 months ago. But dealing with these issues for the last 1/2 months.

So a few things I’m thinking is, I live on Texas and currently it’s winter so the engine isn’t getting as hot causing it to be cold for too long, tripping the sensor. but during the summer I might be good?

Or the relay went bad, but I bought a relay. I’m not sure if it was the correct relay to buy?

I hope someone can give me a good answer or some hope. This seems like an expensive issue if I have to take it to a mechanic.

My best answer for you (and this is the right advice, trust me) is to convert everything back to stock. The factory fan is more than enough to cool your TJ even in extreme temperatures. There is no reason whatsoever for an electric radiator fan. All that is going to do is open the potential for the headache you are experiencing now.

Get rid of all the aftermarket crap the previous owner put on and revert it to factory using OE Mopar parts. This will take care of your issue and your Jeep will be much happier and trouble free.

Reactions: Goatman
Your 2004 came with the 2.4L engine which was equipped with an electric fan from the factory. Maybe it's running too cold from someone cluelessly installing a lower temperature thermostat than the specified 195 degree model. Replace it with a 195 degree thermostat (NON-failsafe!) and the low temperature code will likely go away. Stant would be a good brand choice.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
My best answer for you (and this is the right advice, trust me) is to convert everything back to stock. The factory fan is more than enough to cool your TJ even in extreme temperatures. There is no reason whatsoever for an electric radiator fan. All that is going to do is open the potential for the headache you are experiencing now.

Get rid of all the aftermarket crap the previous owner put on and revert it to factory using OE Mopar parts. This will take care of your issue and your Jeep will be much happier and trouble free.
Do you know how to get all the parts for the OE Mopar radiator fan?

Your 2004 came with the 2.4L engine which was equipped with an electric fan from the factory. Maybe it's running too cold from someone cluelessly installing a lower temperature thermostat than the specified 195 degree model. Replace it with a 195 degree thermostat (NON-failsafe!) and the low temperature code will likely go away. Stant would be a good brand choice.
I’ve replaced the thermostat already with 195 degree stant.

Do you know how to get all the parts for the OE Mopar radiator fan?

Yes, download a free parts catalog here:

Jeep Wrangler TJ Factory Service Manuals (FSM) & Technical Documentation

Once you do, you can go through that catalog and get the part number for every component you are missing, type the part number into Google, and find what you need. You can also find the parts used on eBay, https://www.car-part.com, or a place like Davey's Jeeps that parts out used TJs.

I’ve replaced the thermostat already with 195 degree stant.

Did you make sure that it is functioning correctly? You have two separate problems here not one. Even if the fan is running all the time the thermostat should maintain correct engine temperature meaning you could have a bad sensor. Have you pulled the fan relay to see if it reason your fan is running all the time or look for a bypass?

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Did you make sure that it is functioning correctly? You have two separate problems here not one. Even if the fan is running all the time the thermostat should maintain correct engine temperature meaning you could have a bad sensor. Have you pulled the fan relay to see if it reason your fan is running all the time or look for a bypass?
Yes I tried to replace to relay but not sure if I got the right part. It still runs the same.
What about the sensor though?

Yes, download a free parts catalog here:

Jeep Wrangler TJ Factory Service Manuals (FSM) & Technical Documentation

Once you do, you can go through that catalog and get the part number for every component you are missing, type the part number into Google, and find what you need. You can also find the parts used on eBay, https://www.car-part.com, or a place like Davey's Jeeps that parts out used TJs.
Do you know of any videos of how to install the OE mopar cooling fan?

You already have the factory OE electric fan as Jerry said. What does your temp gauge read once the jeep is warmed up? Are you certain its operating correctly? As Blackjack stated above, the Engine Coolant temperature sensor tells the PCM when to run the fan and when to shut it off. If the temperature sensor is bad your fan will run continuously even though the engine may be at the correct temp. The temp sensor is located as shown below.

One last thought- when you replaced the thermostat, did you refill the burp the system properly? Trapped air pocket in the system can cause erratic temp readings. Not to say this is the cause but you dont want to try and fix one issue only to create another.
sensor.jpg

You already have the factory OE electric fan as Jerry said. What does your temp gauge read once the jeep is warmed up? Are you certain its operating correctly? As Blackjack stated above, the Engine Coolant temperature sensor tells the PCM when to run the fan and when to shut it off. If the temperature sensor is bad your fan will run continuously even though the engine may be at the correct temp. The temp sensor is located as shown below.

One last thought- when you replaced the thermostat, did you refill the burp the system properly? Trapped air pocket in the system can cause erratic temp readings. Not to say this is the cause but you dont want to try and fix one issue only to create another.
View attachment 220879
It read right above the 150 line or whatever the line is between 100-210. But when I replaced the coolant I only lost a little bit of it so I just topped it off. How do you burp?
Also in the picture is #2 the sensor? What is the part/sensor # or name I might need to buy?
Thanks for helping me out

It read right above the 150 line or whatever the line is between 100-210. But when I replaced the coolant I only lost a little bit of it so I just topped it off. How do you burp?
Also in the picture is #2 the sensor? What is the part/sensor # or name I might need to buy?
Thanks for helping me out
If the thermostat is working correctly then you should show closer to 200 on the gauge not 150 so start there. Best thing to do is take the time to make sure the thermostat is opening at 195. Get yourself an instant read thermometer and put it in the fins near the upper hose inlet, unplug the fan relay and let the engine idle and watch the thermometer and you should see the thermostat cycle. Then check and see what your gauge is reading and if it is not above 195 you need a new sensor. Once you know that part of the system is functioning then you can figure out what the PO did to the fan control circuit.

If the thermostat is working correctly then you should show closer to 200 on the gauge not 150 so start there. Best thing to do is take the time to make sure the thermostat is opening at 195. Get yourself an instant read thermometer and put it in the fins near the upper hose inlet, unplug the fan relay and let the engine idle and watch the thermometer and you should see the thermostat cycle. Then check and see what your gauge is reading and if it is not above 195 you need a new sensor. Once you know that part of the system is functioning then you can figure out what the PO did to the fan control circuit.
Do you have a sensor to recommend? Also does the 4 cylinder only have one sensor?

mostly all videos are the 6 cylinder and they have two sensors?

I need help
image.jpg

I tried to take out the old sensor, it broke and the housing around it came out as well. Help!!!! What do I do?