Electrical issue

Aaroncalx

I have a 1998 jeep wrangler sport 4.0L.
When I key on the jeep it kills the battery instantly. When I hook up a jumper cable to it it will start. Replaced the battery and still same drains battery instantly. Checked the alternator and it is good. Disconnected all main power cables from battery to single out which one was cause issues. This led me to the engine compartment fuse box. This then led to fuse #17 causing the issue. Started unplugging all components attached to that fuse to find the power draw was coming from the cluster. Removed cluster and took it for service after testing the cluster shows to be working as it should. So far I’ve trailed the issue to the cluster but at this point I’m stuck again. I’m trying to find out what the cluster closes the circuit to that could be causing such a crazy power draw only at the point of key on.

You can find the factory service manual for your Jeep in the resources section. Full wiring diagrams are in there. ASD relay is usually something to check for starting issues.

I assume when you mean killing your battery it's not instant death? Aka a phantom draw?

-Mac

Electrical issues can be difficult to remedy. I would suggest a good auto electrical professional. They could probably find the issue right away. They would have access to the vehicle and their testing equipment. A multimeter might help. Maybe pull all the wires going to the fuse in question, then hook up a multimeter to the battery as you connect them, one by one, until you see when there is excessive draw and lower power with the ignition on. This might help to track down the culprit.

Appreciate the reply’s. Found that when jumping it the solenoid would act like it was fine. With just the battery it would short out and arc went through to starters but seems to be good now hopefully it won’t happen again.