Electrical Issues (lights, radios, etc)

JayceSmith

Short Version
- No brake lights
- No gauge lights (odometer and all those lights work just no gauge illumination)
- Already replaced turn signal stock and checked fuses

Long Version
Hey everyone I am new to this group and new to owning a TJ. I just picked it up about three days ago and drove it ten hours home. I knew going into the purchase that the brake lights didn't work. I was told it was because of a burnt fuse, not blown, but actually burnt and melted into the box. When I checked, yes there was a burnt fuse but not in the place of the brake light fuse. I also had no turn signals and no dash lights, and other threads led me to change the turn signal stock. Well I did that, ad have turn signals now but no brake lights and no dash lights.
Concerns, it has aftermarket headlights and only one is currently working. They are LED so I doubt it is burnt out, it also has an aftermarket head unit and that doesn't turn off on its own, so when I turn the car off I have to be sure to turn that off.
This is a little long winded but I wanted to get it all out there so you all know exactly what I do haha.

You drove a vehicle 10 hours knowing it had no brake lights? That wasnt very wise….

Get a voltmeter, and start checkin voltages at the places you should have voltage. If you have voltage, then check the grounds.

With brakelights, obviously someome needs to help you by pushing the pedal

The stereo is easy
The installer did not use both the 12v+SWITCHED wire, and only used the 12v+ CONSTANT /Battery wire

Last edited:
go to the files section and get a copy of the service manual for your model year. It has excellent wiring diagrams and should be your starting point for troubleshooting. You may wish to invest in a Power Probe as well (https://www.powerprobe.com/na/en/circuit-tester).

For the brake lights, get a one-handed bar clamp/spreader. Use the spreader, with one end on the pedal and the other on the seat, to activate the brake.

Reactions: Apparition
@JayceSmith I don't think this is YOUR issue, but it may be something to look at for others

Had the same/similar problem with my '03's brakes. The spring loaded switch at top of pedal sticks. A dollop of 3-In-One oil, plus some electrical contact cleaner at the harness and brake lights are back. The lower bulb is a two filament configuration for running lights and brakes.

Last edited:
I also had no turn signals and no dash lights, and other threads led me to change the turn signal stock. Well I did that, ad have turn signals now but no brake lights and no dash lights.

I would troubleshoot one issue at a time.
They're probably not related other than the PO probably screwed with the wiring for each of those things.
A good place to start is the rear lights.
If the turn signal (or flasher) works, then the brake light should work.