Electrical problem

97JadeTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Sorry for the long post…

1997 Jeep TJ sport 4.0L auto… purchased the jeep last week to replace the wrecked one… Jeep hasn’t been wrecked as far as I can tell by observation and the car fax report… Wednesday night I realized that my driver side headlight was out and I figured it was a blown lamp so I ordered a new one… So today I’m driving down the road and I turn my left turn signal on and it starts blinking fast like a bulb is out so I looked and the rear driver side blinker is not blinking (stop and tail light work) so I assume that it’s the bulb and buy a new one… Later today I’m in a parking lot across from a large window and I turn my headlights on and the driver side headlight comes on (remember, it was out Wednesday night ) and instantly the airbag light comes on and I think WTF… So I turn off the headlights and the airbag light goes off and the headlights go off and then I turn the headlights back on and now the driver side headlight no longer works again… So as it sits driver side headlight doesn’t work, driver side rear blinker doesn’t work (front blinker, side marker, rear stop and tail light work)… i’ve checked all fuses in the cab and under the hood and all are good, I checked the bulb in the rear blinker, and it’s good, and I’m not sure if this matters, but when I pull the fuses out of the two airbag slots the airbag light does not come on… the only thing that I’ve done to it since I got it was replaced the exhaust manifold, radiator water pump and installed @Claytone reverse lights… any help would be appreciated!

Might check battery ground. I don't know if there is a ground strap on the engine somewhere to the frame .

Reactions: ColoJeep
As others have said, a bad ground can cause all kinds of weird things. Remember, there are no ground wires running around the vehicle, it's using the tub as the ground. If you have lots of moisture there could be corrosion under multiple of the ground points. Start with the one on the firewall in the engine bay with a big wire going to it - remove it and sandpaper the eyelets, bolt head and firewall.

Andy