Electrical question about blinker timing

WallyWest

TJ Addict
I put some aftermarket halo headlights on that blink amber with the turn signal. To do this I tapped into the wire running to the side marker light. Works fine.

Except the other day I was behind someone with a reflective enough surface I could see my turn signal. The halos and the market lights weren't blinking at the same rate. They would sometimes be in sync, but that doesn't last.

Not a problem really, but if they're both getting the same signal why would the halos be blinking at a different rate?

Yes, LED halo and stock markers.

I was under the impression that the blinking was caused by an on/off cycle from the wire. But if that's true the halo should be in sync with the markers. Either blinking with them or the exact opposite. But mine are slightly faster or slower than the markers, sometimes they line up but then they drift apart.

How slight is the difference? The LEDs will light up about 200 milliseconds (0.2 seconds) before the incandescent, they will also go out faster.

LEDs can do weird stuff when they're mixed with incandescents on the same circuit because of the miniscule load that they draw. Some LEDs have resistors wired into the them for this reason, maybe the halos you installed do not?

Did you wire them in series or parallel?