Emissions readiness reset

sierradmax

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
My state requires emissions testing for inspection purposes on vehicles 25 years old and newer. This is done every two years. Since I've owned my 05, it's always given me issues when it comes time for inspection. I performed TSB # 25-005-13 two years ago and was able to get it to pass after driving it a couple hundred miles. For the past 2 weeks, I've been monitoring emissions readiness and have attempted inspection twice with all systems "ready", according to my torque 2 app. Everytime I go in for inspection, and the states machine plugs into the OBDII port, the vehicle displays 4 "incompletes" and it fails. I Confirm "incomplete" with the torque 2 app, after and I repeat the driving process. It's almost as if the states machine resets my PCM everytime. Is this even possible?

One unknown is if the tech shuts the vehicle off during the process. I'm hoping third times a charm and I can ask the tech to leave it running when they plug in but can pcm's be reset with vehicle operating?

With my '97 I have only seen that many "not ready" statuses after a recent reset of a code. Driving that far should have gotten you down to just one "not ready" and it will usually be the Catalyst Monitor. There's something going on for sure, and I'd hate to speculate what it is without knowing more.

The only thing I can suggest is a long road trip of varying speeds which will either trip a code or set them all to ready hopefully.

I would have them use your Code Reader prior to hooking up to the state's machine to see it's results and then hook it up to the state's. If it fails on the state's reader and then you put your reader back in and it fails as well, it may tell them something. Oh, and I would video tape it as well.