Employee Training Challenge

Streetsmarts is a form of common sense. I am training a new guy right now. I went against the grain on this one (and have caught a lot of flack for it). I hired a felon with no drivers license or transportation. I cannot say exactly what it was that I saw, but that common sense/streetsmart persona came through. He is not perfect, but he has not made the same mistake twice, so I see that as a positive. He is here every morning and does not complain about anything.
Awesome, I'd say streetsmarts is the application of common sense.

Streetsmarts is a form of common sense. I am training a new guy right now. I went against the grain on this one (and have caught a lot of flack for it). I hired a felon with no drivers license or transportation. I cannot say exactly what it was that I saw, but that common sense/streetsmart persona came through. He is not perfect, but he has not made the same mistake twice, so I see that as a positive. He is here every morning and does not complain about anything.
My top guy has a checkered past- the drive to want a better life does more for his motivation than I can do. He is rock solid and will earn 15,000 in bonuses this year- he is a super accomplished guy- blessed to have him.

Reactions: WSS and Apparition
I’ll tell you guys some funny stories-

I have had more than a few guys with a past-

For the most part it has been helpful-

When a customer says hey I meant to leave you the key but I forgot can you guys get the back door open - I can confidently tell them yes we can get in your home.

If make a mistake on a paycheck and it needs altered they can usually do it well.

If we are working and we find some kind of strange substance in the house that we don’t know what to do with they can usually identify it.

If somebody is giving me a line about having to see a probation officer or something most of the guys can explain to me how the process really works.

Our drug policy used to be that we paid so much that nobody came off of anything during the week-

Lots of good comments on pay, training and employee retention. Another key is to expect some level of turnover, and to plan for it.

When I was put in charge of a department with 200 people that was constantly understaffed I found that if we had 190 they would hire 10. A few of the new ones wouldn't make the cut, or someone else would leave, and we'd be short again. I looked through the history and found about 20% of new hires wouldn't last 6 months, so if we were short 4 I told HR to hire 5. If we need 10 hire 13. When business was good I didn't worry about having a few extra people because it was less expensive than being short and producing less.

Training is a constant process and it pays to have depth on the bench. I always push for people to learn as much as they are able and go as far as they can. This creates backup coverage and when someone with experience leaves (sometimes by promotion) you have internal candidates.

Also, I always had the goal of making myself replaceable. If you want to move up someone needs to be able to take your place. Plus, the more you can delegate the more you're able to deal with special issues/projects that no one else can.

Reactions: JLLJ and Apparition
Also, I always had the goal of making myself replaceable. If you want to move up someone needs to be able to take your place. Plus, the more you can delegate the more you're able to deal with special issues/projects that no one else can.
The saying is you rise to the level of your incompetence.