Engine and transmission skid plate advice

Steve SDTJ

Wandering aimlessly
Supporting Member
Noob question #1!

I have a 98 Sahara, relatively stock-ish. Hate to admit it but coil spacers to fit 31s. I like to do things right the first time so maybe someday build it right for 33s but for now having a great time cruising on the trails. Not into rocks but even on trails you come across plenty of obstacles. Bonked stuff more than once on the trail below.

Looking around underneath I think I need an engine/trans skid ASAP. I've already added to much weight to an already heavy hardtop (had a CJ5 with just a bikini for years so this feels like a tank) so I've been eyeballing either an undercover Fab or savvy aluminum skid. They seem comparable and reading up both appear to be able to work with my stock transfer skid with not much extra work. Tummy tuck may or may not be in the future and it sounds like both would work with that too (not sure if I have less time or $, and dont want to have to spend the money twice if I can help it). Leaning towards savvy since they're close and the fact that they cost a few bucks less doesn't hurt.

Any reason to get one over the other? Any others I should look at?

Thanks!

20180510_180813.jpg

I have the UCF ultra high clearance engine+t-case setup, if you wait around for a sale you can get it 20% off. It has definitely taken a pounding. My only complaint is when doing an oil change - the engine skid makes a complete mess and the hole for oil drainage is pretty useless. Might be a cleaner job if a channel was installed that would prevent oil from running down the inside of the skid. I ended up using a Fumoto valve which allows me to connect a tube for oil changes, zero mess now.

For a while I ran the engine skid with the stock t-case skid with no issues. Once I installed the t-case skid I did have to do some exhaust work for everything to clear. If you're willing to spend the money I'd definitely try out the Savvy system, seems very quality, not sure how the engine skid mates up with the stock t-case skid but I'd imagine it is very similar

If I could do it all over again I'd probably try to fab up my own completely flat skid. However besides having to probably clearance the tub, who knows what other gremlins would surface from that project

I went with the Savvy engine/transmission skid plate for several reasons. First, it is made of aluminum, for weight savings. Second, it easily attaches to the OEM skid plate (the infamous "shovel") by simply drilling four holes in the front of the OEM plate. Finally, I will be purchasing the matching Savvy transfer case skid in the near future and it just made sense to stay with an outfit I know makes quality gear (not to say that UCF doesn't).

Neal you bring up a good point, aluminum is definitely worth the weight savings! I think my new skid weighs less than the stock one. The UCF system can come in 3/16 or 1/4 steel or 1/4 aluminum

Thanks for the replies! I did look at the skid row and it would save as much as a hundred bucks it's quite a bit heavier than the aluminum options