Engine / hood / firewall ground strap

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Finishing up my underhood air compressor install And literally, the last thing I needed to go was hook up the ground. I decided to use the spot on the firewall. The eye broke off when tightening it up. šŸ˜

Does anyone know if a loop connector like this can be purchased? I looks like itā€™s just crimped in the middle of the strap from the hood to engine. Iā€™ve been trying to find one online, but not sure if Iā€™m goo the correct term. ā€œground strap loop connectorā€, ā€œground strap crimp connectorā€, ā€œserrated ground strap connectorā€, etc

For now, I just have the strap pinched between two other ground connectors. Any issue driving around with that until I find a more permanent fix?

D879EFC1-89D0-4D0A-8788-E99523D3C5DC.jpeg

CDE01876-664C-4001-B67A-72A640BB92CE.jpeg

Those can be found in the electrical department of nearly every hardware store or most auto parts stores. It's called a crimp-on ring connector.
Thanks Jerry. Iā€™ll stop by one of the auto parts stores on my way home from work tomorrow.

I have some connectors but under the plastic cover they donā€™t have as much area to crimp onto the braided strap. Hopefully I can find some as similar and hefty as the OEM one.

E386C279-A010-4111-9B4C-93F32BE3D3A1.jpeg

Those will work fine, there is no need for anything more than that. If you are skilled with a soldering iron you can use a small section of copper to bridge the factory ring to the crimp section on the back side where it is flat. Since you wont touch the braid it'll work. Just use a section cut from those rings as a bridge.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Those will work fine, there is no need for anything more than that. If you are skilled with a soldering iron you can use a small section of copper to bridge the factory ring to the crimp section on the back side where it is flat. Since you wont touch the braid it'll work. Just use a section cut from those rings as a bridge.
Thanks. If I canā€™t find some larger ring connectors, Iā€™ll try one of these then. It doesnā€™t seem like the braided strap will fit in there, but maybe I can make it work. I donā€™t know if I can do the soldering part.

I found some 8 gauge terminals made by Dorman for a 1/2ā€œ stud at Autozone. They didnā€™t have any 3/8ā€, only 1/2ā€œ and 1/4ā€, but I think this will work. Looks like plenty of room in the crimp end to fit the braided strap like the OEM one was. 12 hour shifts all weekend so wonā€™t get to work on it until Monday or Tuesday.

3DC269D5-814B-48F5-8F26-E756E18B3E29.jpeg

I've also seen them at Ace and True Value stores...just about any place that has nuts and bolts bins... they'll also have all those other tidbits...springs, shelf pegs...you'll find a whole bin or two of terminals...but...often they are quite expensive.

I've found keeping a ready stock on hand is my best solution... especially since I live 35 minutes from town.

-Mac

Those braided straps soak up solder really well (like solder wick). I have sometimes soldered the end of the strap for about 1/2 inch, and then drilled a hole in it for the screw.

Is there an advantage to the braided strap over a heavy gauge wire? Could you just make your own replacement?

I did get this fixed Monday using the 8 AWG Dorman 1/2ā€ ring terminal. I cut the plastic off of it before crimping. The 1/2ā€ is a little big on the stud but I used a drilled out fender washer to make sure I got the most surface contact out of it. I used a dremel tool with cutoff wheel to cut a groove in the OEM connector and pried it off with a screwdriver. Straightened and twisted the 2 straps together and crimped the new connector on.

Also stabbed myself in the finger with the screwdriver prying the old connector off. šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

08FA2D11-4472-4EFE-B83B-000F0BF58644.jpeg
211C249D-9566-4F3C-9D95-8F7F8E6E97F3.jpeg
5EDDB673-BC67-4A27-B5A8-1AF3D8DE4957.jpeg