Engine knock getting worse, ideas on next steps

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered and engine. Called ATK directly and they were offering 10% off and then $50 off because I waited a few days after contacting them... lol.
It was $1841 for the engine, $95 shipping and $130 tax so I got out the door for $2066 which I thought wasn't too bad after I did a ton of research. It was cheaper to go right to ATK vs Jegs or Advanced Auto, etc...

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered and engine. Called ATK directly and they were offering 10% off and then $50 off because I waited a few days after contacting them... lol.
It was $1841 for the engine, $95 shipping and $130 tax so I got out the door for $2066 which I thought wasn't too bad after I did a ton of research. It was cheaper to go right to ATK vs Jegs or Advanced Auto, etc...
That's fantastic! After parts, machine shop prices, and engine labor you would have been in it for not much less had you done it on your own. Plus you basically got taxes and shipping for free just by contacting them directly. Nice work! Thanks for the inside scoop on the direct contact.

That's fantastic! After parts, machine shop prices, and engine labor you would have been in it for not much less had you done it on your own. Plus you basically got taxes and shipping for free just by contacting them directly. Nice work! Thanks for the inside scoop on the direct contact.

No prob.
I don't have the time or experience to do this myself so whether it would be a rebuild or a swap I'm paying my friend to do it. He only charges $60 for friends and family so I'm still getting a deal on the labor side.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Here's the list of mopar part #s if needed ‘04 4.0

Front Cover Gasket: 53020487
Front Cover Seal: 33004681
Timing Gear Set: 53020443
Timing Chain Guide: 33003446
Timing Gear Set: 53010557AA
Timing Chain: 53020444

That camshaft gear says it doesn’t fit my ‘98 4.0 and the recommended part is discontinued. Any reason I shouldn’t just go with a Crown kit?

Shooting for getting it back Tuesday. Can't wait!!!
IMG_5781.jpg

IMG_5782.jpg

IMG_5779.jpg

You have no idea :) I pick it up Sunday, he's going to use it the next few days for break in. I can't wait to get back to playing on the rocks.

Not out of the woods yet. Looks like transmission mount is toast so it's allowing the T-Case to shake about 1/8" and putting a vibration into the Jeep even sitting at idle. Might have a bad belt tensioner too... something is squealing up there. Some WD-40 quieted the tensioner down so hopefully he is the culprit and not an A/C pully or something.
If these are the last remaining items I'm happy. Oh and the starter is pretty shot, it's original and we think with the new rings and compression in the new engine it is struggling to make a go of it.
The engine runs great and purrs after the idle air control valve was replaced... pecker ran me $85.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Fother Mucker... New engine is literally purring like a kitten now after we changed out the throttle control sensor and plugs. @Jerry Bransford it turns out the AUTOLITE XP985 plugs were not liked by my new engine. Had to go with an OE style plug even though many others have used these.
There is still a slight vibration in the drivetrain while sitting in Park or driving it. My friend discovered the flex plate/fly wheel is slightly out of round. *&%^&$%!!!! we just had that off the engine and it never crossed our minds to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Neither of us have the time to replace it at this point so it's off to the tranny shop and another $650 in parts and labor. Is what it is but what a kick in the balls considering it is running so smooth otherwise.
Two tranny shops confirmed this is a common problem with these engines because the factory fly wheels were too thin and would eventually crack.

I know it's an old thread. Which ATK did you purchase? I am in the same situation.

ok, noob swap question... so, my current 4.0 has the coil pack... how do you know if the reman uses a distributor set-up or the coil pack?

I know it's an old thread. Which ATK did you purchase? I am in the same situation.

ok, noob swap question... so, my current 4.0 has the coil pack... how do you know if the reman uses a distributor set-up or the coil pack?

I simply called ATK and told them my Jeep info and vin number and they sent the engine I needed which uses coil packs. Don't remember the details and the Jeep has long been sold :)
The VIN number is what they are going to work off of. Good luck!

When I fist got my TJ, it made a similar clatter when shutting it off. After I replaced the timing chain and sprockets, that noise is gone.

It also would randomly clatter when running. Also gone after the timing chain.

If you choose to pull the oil pan, you can see the timing chain from the bottom of the engine. If it's loose, replace it at that time as the timing cover and oil pan gaskets come together at that location and you will get a better seal as a bonus.

I simply called ATK and told them my Jeep info and vin number and they sent the engine I needed which uses coil packs. Don't remember the details and the Jeep has long been sold :)
The VIN number is what they are going to work off of. Good luck!
Thank you for the quick reply! I greatly appreciate the help!