Engine shop says I need new engine

Kris120

2002x with 143000 mi. 25 lbs compression in #5. Shop says it has piston knock and smokes. The main question I have is that they quoted 5k to remove engine rebuild it and put it back in. Does this sound reasonable and is this the smart way to go?

Your thoughts please. They want it for 6 weeks too

So, I had to replace the 4.0 engine on my old XJ, which is the same engine that's in the TJ. I ended up paying $2200 I believe it was, for a fully remanufactured engined from LKQ, with a 30k mile warranty. I installed it myself, so I saved a lot of money on the labor.

Given that this is a shop, $5000 isn't too unrealistic. A good chunk of that is labor, however, they're also charging for things like fluids they'll need to replace, and likely other things they'll need to replace while they are in there. I also believe that it's probably just a better idea to go with a fully remanufactured crate engine instead. The labor involved in rebuilding an engine is adding to the price. Throwing in a remanufactured crate engine saves on all that labor they'd charge you for the time they spend rebuilding it.

If you shopped around, I believe you might be able to get it done for a bit cheaper, but there price isn't that unrealistic, especially if they have a good reputation.

Sounds reasonable to me. If they want if for 6 weeks, they either want to take their sweet time because they are busy, or they are having another shop do some of the engine work and will be shipping the motor out and getting it back. If they are doing all the work themselves, then that is a long time. I’d still shop around if there are other reputable shops can check in with. I’d definitely be asking about crate motors that might be even better than the original to see what you can get and for what price. If I was doing a rebuild, I’d likely go for an upgrade if I could swing it!

What does the typical V8 swap cost?

8-12k if you pay someone to do it for you.

The large difference in price is based off which V8 you choose. For instance, a LS engine from a Corvette will be considerably more than a V8 Magnum from an older Dodge Durango.

If I had to rebuild mine, I would drop 2k or so on a remanufactured crate engine, install it myself, and then drop 3k on a supercharger. My last TJ was supercharged and it was an absolute beast.

Well if you have the money, the V8 swap would certainly be the way to go... but again, that's going to cost at least 8k.

I think 5k is a litte high for a rebuild. Shop around and see what other shops quote you.

Just had a motor replaced in a honda. Bare in mind it was a junkyard motor. But it was only 3k installed. And i know there is a hell of a lot more labor in replacing a front wheel drive motor.

Most reputable shops around here won’t install or stand behind a junkyard motor, since they want to warranty the work and most consumers demand some kind of warranty. Too many unknowns for them and it is expensive for them to do all the labor again at no cost. You can however find some cheaper places or individuals that will do it. Kind of a gamble, but perhaps worth it if you find someone you can trust and you can get the junkyard to warranty the motor. Best to check on that warranty though...it would suck to get a used motor, have it crap out, and then have to pay for labor again to get another one installed.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
8-12k if you pay someone to do it for you.

I'm on the low end of 7k and its not in yet. I rebuilt a LS Gen III and have it on the engine stand. I have almost everything I need to swap it out, but camping season caught up to me and I don't want to tear it down right at the start.

Here's some costs of the things that I got, or the ones I remember anyways

NV3550 to Ls adapter - $330
weld in engine mounts - $230
Donor LS with PCM/ECM - $500 (needed rebuilding, had a slight tick in the top end)
Tear down, rebuild, block work, head work, new pistons, Holley EFI system $4800
Kryo flow aluminum radiator - $600
simplified wiring harness and pcm programming - $850
GM fuel system integration pump - $270

I'll still need:
headers and exhaust
throttle, clutch release and transmission & transfer case shifter systems (linkages)
driveshafts
hoses
gauge clusters

So add another couple of grand for all that.

I'm on the low end of 7k and its not in yet. I rebuilt a LS Gen III and have it on the engine stand. I have almost everything I need to swap it out, but camping season caught up to me and I don't want to tear it down right at the start.

Here's some costs of the things that I got, or the ones I remember anyways

NV3550 to Ls adapter - $330
weld in engine mounts - $230
Donor LS with PCM/ECM - $500 (needed rebuilding, had a slight tick in the top end)
Tear down, rebuild, block work, head work, new pistons, Holley EFI system $4800
Kryo flow aluminum radiator - $600
simplified wiring harness and pcm programming - $850
GM fuel system integration pump - $270

I'll still need:
headers and exhaust
throttle, clutch release and transmission & transfer case shifter systems (linkages)
driveshafts
hoses
gauge clusters

So add another couple of grand for all that.
Impressive. That should be fun once its all done.

Most reputable shops around here won’t install or stand behind a junkyard motor, since they want to warranty the work and most consumers demand some kind of warranty. Too many unknowns for them and it is expensive for them to do all the labor again at no cost. You can however find some cheaper places or individuals that will do it. Kind of a gamble, but perhaps worth it if you find someone you can trust and you can get the junkyard to warranty the motor. Best to check on that warranty though...it would suck to get a used motor, have it crap out, and then have to pay for labor again to get another one installed.
The shop used guarantees labor and engine for 1 year.
Most newer (2000+) foreign engines are not easily rebuilt. I had a hatd time finding a machine shop that had the specs for the 2.7l Hyundai engine. It has become very common practice for shops to use low mileage recycled engines. I searched for a long time for a complete rebuilt engine. No one makes them.

I would not put one on a jeep tj because there are too many rebuilt and rebuilders. And parts are easily available.

I've had the same mechanic for over 30 years, ever since I was 17 and dated his niece. He's used these guys for decades and recommended them to me when I wanted to upgrade my '78 z28
I bought a 350 4-bolt main, RV cam, .196 heads, etc, years ago from these guys, had a minor issue and they made it good immediately. If I were in the market for a swap, I would't hesitate to use them again.
https://www.sandjengines.com/

My mechanic is pretty good and he told me it would be around $3000. Being that I've known him for so long, I could probably get that firm without taxes or anything. Different shops, different prices. Imagine taking it to the dealership. They would probably charge you about $8000. Then there are places like Aamco transmission, if they're still around, who will warranty it, and will probably charge you $6000. Five years ago, I probably could have got it installed for $2k. I just got a tranny from him installed for 1k, and it's perfect. I've had the same engine, 217,000 but 2 rebuilt tranny's in my 97 Wrangler.