Engine sludge clean

N!c_2002

Looking to clean out sludge from the engine at the next oil change. any additives you guys have tried and would recommend? I;ve heard stuff from 1 quart of ATF to adding diesel to the oil and running for 15 min. also aware of specific formulas for flushing engine to do the task as well.

Open to any suggestions. looking for someone whos had experience doing this as well

How bad? There shouldn't be any sludge. I may be wrong but if you know you actually have bad sludge the only solution is a teardown and also fixing what caused it in the first place.

ATF, Seafoam... everyone has a secret recipe. I'll say this... dropping my oil pan and replacing my RMS 4 times... cycling a lot of fresh clean oil through that engine really cleaned it up.

Might just want to change your oil more frequently.

-Mac

Reactions: fourpointzero
Personally, I've had good results with specific engine flush products designed for the job. They usually come with clear instructions on how to use them effectively. Adding ATF or diesel sounds a bit risky to me, so I'd stick with products made for flushing engines.

Why is it sludge up ? If it's still running well i would just change the oil often, As stated above. If you are just trying to buy some time with an old motor get it up to operating temperature, Drain the oil, Refill it with diesel fuel and start it up. let it idle for 10 minuets and drain it out. refill with fresh oil and report back.

ATF, Seafoam... everyone has a secret recipe. I'll say this... dropping my oil pan and replacing my RMS 4 times... cycling a lot of fresh clean oil through that engine really cleaned it up.

Might just want to change your oil more frequently.

-Mac

Mac, Ive been watching your YouTube channel. Great stuff ! I see 224K miles on your odometer, is that accurate ? Original engine ? Your wife had that thing buzzing while trying to get thru some snow, I can't believe the piston skirts aren't piled up in the oil pan. Your wife plows your jeep, You park your jeep in a field, then ride home together in her jeep smiling the whole way home. Yalls positive attitudes keep me watching.

Sorry to derail the thread.

Only had it up a little past 4k...never hit the rev limiter. The PO swore the engine was rebuilt... guessing from the rest of the hack job on suspension, sensors and everything else that it was as fly by night as you can get.

Even smashed in the oil pan and beat the tick out...

-Mac

Reactions: 5TTTj
It all depends how much sludge build up you have. If it's minimal sludge, running a can of rislone or Seafoam with your oil change will help dissolve it.
Also running BG quick flush will help.
If it's a lot of sludge I would not recommend any type of chemical flush. You need to tear down and remove it.
Trying to flush out large amounts of sludge is a bad idea. You run the risk of clogging the oil pump pick up screen and oil passages in the block.

Last edited:
at 100k miles on mine I added seafoam to the oil about 300 miles before it was due it's oil change. man the oil that came out was nasty, so I guess it did some good. maybe snake oil but I will say the valve cover and top of the head was spotless when I later removed it to change the already leaking gasket.