Engine stall on deceleration issue

Desert Roamer

Lucky to have rubicon flares
Supporting Member
My TJ recently began stalling after deceleration on a recent trip. It happens mostly after going highway speeds. After slowing down for exits or stoplights etc. Has anybody had a similar issue?

Sounds like injector heat soak. Mine did something similar on a 6 hour drive to Hidden Falls. After holding interstate speeds for several hours, as soon as I got off the interstate and came to a red light, it ran really rough, had low power, and wanted to stall. The fuel rail and injectors get too hot and the fuel vaporizes. There are insulation kits for the injectors and fuel rail you can add. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Starting
My short list would include a bad crankshaft position sensor, bad fuel pump, perhaps a bad camshaft position sensor.

If yours is old enough to have a pressure test port on the fuel injector's fuel rail I'd connect a fuel pressure gauge and make sure the fuel pressure is at or very close to 49 psi while revving the engine.

Thanks for the reply @SecondChanceTJ and @JerryBransford. I really appreciate it. Will probably try one or more of yalls ideas

Reactions: Tob
Is your speedometer functioning? I had this happen once when I went for a test drive without programming my speedo healer.

@freedom_in_4low, no my speedmeter doesn’t work either. It’s kind of annoying. Would like help with figuring that out too. Me and @TJ Starting were working on my transfer case and when I put the wire back in above the transfer case; idk what happened but ever after I don’t have speedo readout. Something to do with the speedo gear or something. Idk. Hasn’t worked since.

@freedom_in_4low, no my speedmeter doesn’t work either. It’s kind of annoying. Would like help with figuring that out too. Me and @TJ Starting were working on my transfer case and when I put the wire back in above the transfer case; idk what happened but ever after I don’t have speedo readout. Something to do with the speedo gear or something. Idk. Hasn’t worked since.
This happened just before I headed out for the hidden falls trip🙄

I had this when my fuel was going out but not dead. Died going from accel up hill to engine brake downhill. Died getting off the free way. Died at a red light. The fuel pump eventually gave up.

Did you get any check engine codes?

Is your speedometer functioning? I had this happen once when I went for a test drive without programming my speedo healer.
He doesnt have a speedo healer, only thing that was messed with is he changed to oring since whoever had installed it last had pinched the oring and it was leaking. I'm pretty sure it was clocked right on reinstallation but may need to be double checked.

He doesnt have a speedo healer, only thing that was messed with is he changed to oring since whoever had installed it last had pinched the oring and it was leaking. I'm pretty sure it was clocked right on reinstallation but may need to be double checked.

I don't think the speedo healer is required to cause this problem, that's just how I happened to experience the loss of speedometer signal.

I suggest figuring out the speedometer, and I would not be surprised in the least if your stalling problem disappears at the same time. I don't know the exact mechanism that causes it, but I know my LJ stalled 3 times when approaching stops in a drive no farther than a mile, and once I reconnected my speedometer it never happened again.