Engine stalling when hard turning in reverse or low gear? (42RLE)

limitz

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
05 LJR w/ a 42RLE

Idles just fine, but the engine will randomly stall out when the steering wheel is turned toward the left, and reversing. Happens on level ground, and more frequently when backing into an elevated parking spot (engine working harder). Lot of lugging when backing up into hills as well.

The same happens moving forward at low speed/gear, especially when the steering wheel is turned hard left. Possibly happens turning right too, but I've really noticed it on the left side. Stalled out a few times traffic crawling on an elevated/angled highway bridge, turning toward the left. Doesn't happen during U-turns where the engine is in a higher gear (this is my guess).

Happens much more frequently than I'd like, maybe 50% of the time when slowly turning and backing up. No codes are thrown when this happens, is this a PCM issue?

Last edited:
Check the ECU wiring harness that is routed between the firewall and engine valve cover. This harness is in close proximity to the threaded head stud and has been known to rub thru the split wire loom and wiring insulation causing the ECU signals to short to ground.
The engine torqueing over may cause the wire loom to further rub on the threaded head stud.
So that this does not happen on my '01; I installed a used spark plug wire boot over the threaded head stud.

Is it stalling only when cold ?

How does it idle in neutral both hot and cold?
Idle is fine in park, haven't tried neutral. Stalling happens when hot and cold. I had a thought that it could be the idle air intake, but I've never had the engine stall out while idling.

Ran the Jeep for about 20 min yesterday, but when I pulled to back up into a parking spot, engine stalled out halfway. Stalling out when hot too.

Check the ECU wiring harness that is routed between the firewall and engine valve cover. This harness is in close proximity to the threaded head stud and has been known to rub thru the split wire loom and wiring insulation causing the ECU signals to short to ground.
The engine torqueing over may cause the wire loom to further rub on the threaded head stud.
So that this does not happen on my '01; I installed a used spark plug wire boot over the threaded head stud.

I'll double check this today.